Gingerbread for Samsung?

Last Updated:

1. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I plan on picking up a Captivate when I renew my plan but am I bit weary after hearing of Samsung's support, or lack there-of...

Has there been any mention of Gingerbread will be brought to the Captivate or will Samsung stop at Froyo?

Advertisement
  2. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

I certainly hope it won't stop at Froyo, but I personally haven't heard anything about gingerbread for Samsung.

qwertyaas likes this.
  3. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt you'll hear anything for a while. Gingerbread isn't even released yet so until google releases it speculation is pointless. At this point it's pure speculation that 2.2 will come next month. I certainly hope it does. And I would expect that if things stay on track we'd be looking at a gingerbread update early next year.

qwertyaas likes this.
  4. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Most Android users would tell you to not hold your breath.

5. qwertyaas

Oh I thought Gingerbread was coming out this fall. Don't think I'll wait until Winter to pick up a phone - I'm using a Blackberry with no data plan now (and nothing on it - just use it to text and call) so any smartphone will be much better.

sirlaithsalot likes this.
  6. DT

DT Well-Known Member

From what I understand, Froyo (2.2) is targeted to smaller devices like smart phones and Gingerbread (3.0) is designed for use with larger devices like tablets (it has a higher standard resolution, etc.).

I suppose as long as there's an open source distro, it can be made available to phones like the SGS, but I think 2.2 is going to end the "official" development lifecycle for this phone OS.

qwertyaas likes this.
  7. qwertyaas

I see. Hopefully 2.2 would be enough to last me the 2 year contract as I won't be getting another phone until the contract is up.

What is more annoying is I can't seem to get the phone under $200 anywhere with renewal - as every renewal that has a lower price will not let me renew my family plan but I have to upgrade it as well.

But at this point it's either iPhone or Captivate - and even though most of my friends have an iPhone now, I would prefer not to go that route. And doesn't seem like ATT are in a rush to push out other high-end Android phones.

8. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

We need Froyo first. Next month is the word. We would assume that since Samsung has the Galaxy S line on all major providers that they would not let a phone of this specification go without Gingerbread.

qwertyaas likes this.
  9. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

My interpretation from the interviews, etc that I've heard Gingerbread will be ADDING support for tablet devices (apparently Google didn't consider the possibility of these devices running Android - see issues with certain devices not being able to access the marketplace), as well as ADDING support for some higher resolutions - up to 1280x720. That resolution will not be a requirement.

Even if Samsung doesn't release a Gingerbread update - and of course I hope they will - I suspect the community will be able to get it running. I think Samsung still needs to release some code and drivers for the various Galaxy S handsets, but once they do I imagine we'll be able to compile a functional Gingerbread rom. Even better if we don't have to.

10. DT

DT Well-Known Member

Kind of a sidenote, but I'm stoked about a tablet around 6-7", with 1280x720 (i.e., native HD resolution), running Android, especially 3.0. Maybe something WiFi only, IR port for HT control, possibly a little bump in CPU speed to 1.2-1.5 GHz!

The Wifey

11. smeltn

smeltn Well-Known Member

From my understanding any smartphone with a 1Ghz processor will be able to run 3.0 just fine. Now whether or not that means we will get it, is another story.

12. mettup

mettup New Member

Get an insurance... $5 every month. claim a new device for $125(down payment). that's it. but make sure you add your insurance before the end of first month of contract. you can also cancel the insurance anytime.

13. redvettez06

redvettez06 Well-Known Member

I think that anyone planning on getting Gingerbread anytime before next June should plan on rooting. Samsung (and ATT) are terrible at keeping their products up to date with the OSes and they aren't gonna rush to get it to market anytime soon (if ever).

14. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member

Gingerbread (2.3) is not really for tablets... that's Honeycomb (probably 3.0).

Now that Samsung is working on the Nexsus S (which is based on the Galaxy S), I think we can be a little more hopeful that later Android releases will also be supported for Captivate (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, etc.).

15. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member

Even if Samsung doesn't release it, I'm sure there might be a way for a custom ROM that can help with getting Gingerbread on the Captivate. As for hardware, almost for sure, it's going to work on the Captivate, and it's almost a guarantee that it's going to work on the Nexus Two (else it would be a useless release).

16. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

My Eclair has gone stale & moldy waiting on Frozen Yogurt, so I'm not even thinking about getting any Gingerbread... :bonk:

17. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Agree

18. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

+1 on the moldy eclair.

Isn't the Nexus 2 still just a rumor?

Also I agree with a previous poster that 2.2 will be the last update from Samsung - excluding possibly fixing small bugs created by the update.

Custom ROMs for the win!

19. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

According to the hardware requirements i.e. 1 ghz processor and 512 mb ROM, for Gingerbread, captivate should be good. If Samsung doesnt release it, go for custom rom. They are last one to release FROYO (if they still do), they will make us wait for another year for gingerbread. I don't know how can samsung try to compete with Apple with such non sense customer support. The sale for galaxy s would be double, if we would have got froyo update in september like Motorola and HTC phones got.

20. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

If you are looking for an eReader, look at the Nook Color coming out Nov 17th. It costs $250 with WiFi and runs on Android plus you can surf the web and listen to Pandora. Any tablet will cost you $500+ and I'm not sure I would buy any 1st Gen Android tablet or Apple for that matter. Tablets are a bit overrated if you ask me, most of them are just an oversized phone. Things should start looking interesting for tablets starting in mid 2011.

21. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was working at the Hyatt and they used iPads at the bell desk and front desk and were always having problems with them.

22. northernale1

northernale1 Well-Known Member

hell some companies are Just releasing 2.1 ,, so samsung is a bit ahead of the game compared to other manufacturers,, I still believe google is at fault some of this and google and manufacturers need to get there ducks in a row if they want android to really take off

23. Captain19

Captain19 Well-Known Member

When I decided to upgrade from the iPhone to the Captivate ATT wanted $199 for early upgrade. I went to Radio Shack and they wanted $179. While waiting for Radio Shack to open I went in Walmart and got the Captivate for $98. Sweet deal. :)

24. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Why would this be Google's fault? They release the source code for the Android release at the same time to everyone (excepting in the case of the Google experience phones, at which point it releases with the specific phone and the other manufacturers/same manufacturer can then use the code). The manufacturers all have the same amount of time to customize the code for their devices...

25. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, HTC and Motorola have already pushed out 2.2 to all their top phones. November is up in two weeks and still no word from Samsung about Froyo. I don't see Samsung pushing out 2.2 until early next year.