• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread impressions/tips/problems NON ROOTED STOCK ONLY

Absolutely the worst advice ever and a recipe for disaster.

If you're rooted already, goto our All Things Root subforum and get instructions on how to get this same update rooted.

If you already followed that bad advice, you'll find several threads there that will help you.

So I just want to be clear on your reply and appreciate it very much. Hold off on un-rooting, put in the sprint update when sent downstream, then root with the Unrevoked 3 process.

Thanks,
o2

Upvote 0
The GPS program was not part of the Gingerbread upgrade. You just happened to have it update simultaneously. I had my GPS updated OTA just under two weeks ago. It was formerly the Sprint GPS app. The functionality has now changed (for the better) and is now called TelNav.

The Telenav is behaving differently now. On stock 2.2, I could kill the new telenav application process and it would stay dead until next reboot. Now, on 2.3.3, as soon as I kill it, I can see it restarting (right away).

Upvote 0
Regarding the battery life, there is a definite idling improvement. This is a screenshot from my SystemPanel (with WiFi on, Bluetooth off).

The battery life is completely flat for nearly 8 hours. Normally even with the most generous settings, I would lose 1-4% every two hours or so.

Attachments

• snap20110605_091409.jpg
    snap20110605_091409.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I get similar problems when closing apps, sometimes I get a blank homescreen with 'loading...' - and sometimes I get the white boot screen with the green 'htc' - either way my homescreen loads after a delay. Very annoying, hope they fix this soon.

This happens to me all the time. I deleted the htc sense data hoping that would work, but it still seems to crash and reload things. Hopefully this will be fixed in the rumored update later this week. This is about my only issue with gingerbread besides Netflix which I have read is being worked on

Upvote 0
Can we start to compile a list of known (and verified) issues with the new update? Having some consolidated list would be helpful for troubleshooting purposes and future releases. The way I imagine it, it would be organized by Evo internal issues and external app issues and to the extent necessary, to indicate how many users are experiencing the issue.

For example:

EVO Internal Issues:
-- Digital Compass not working [NeoteriX, richard.tufty, BeTrue]
-- Voicemail Notification [many]
-- Google Voice Search not picking up Mic audio
-- HTC Sense Home more frequently restarts (white HTC screen) [NeoteriX, BeTrue]

External App Issues:
-- Handcent (notification light disabled) fixed??
-- WiMax Notifier
-- Netflix
-- Telenav [jj14xl, Joehornback]
-- ShootMe (non-root exploit closed)

Reactions: cincylaw
Upvote 0
EVO Internal Issues:
-- HTC Sense Home more frequently restarts (white HTC screen) [NeoteriX, BeTrue]

External App Issues:
-- WiMax Notifier
-- Netflix
- Drudge Report app: text in opened articles is now skipping around, formatting problem (F14Scott)

Upvote 0
The Telenav is behaving differently now. On stock 2.2, I could kill the new telenav application process and it would stay dead until next reboot. Now, on 2.3.3, as soon as I kill it, I can see it restarting (right away).

I had the same problem after I updated the GPS two weeks ago. It would not remain killed (well before the gingerbread upgrade obviously). It seems that Spring sold out to Telenav and it is Telenav that is the issue... Not gingerbread. Although right now, it's not running in the background for some reason (that good). Besides, I have been using the car kit app and it uses google maps/gps.

Upvote 0
EVO Internal Issues:

External App Issues:
-- WiMax Notifier
-- Netflix
- Drudge Report app: text in opened articles is now skipping around, formatting problem (F14Scott)

It's already been posted in this thread, the issues of this upgrade. I has also been posted that this upgrade was a "compatibility upgrade" and not meant to rectify all known issues. It has already been posted that there will be another update coming shortly to address some of the bugs being reported. Plus, an HTC Sense UI upgrade will be coming with that second upgrade.

Folks need to understand the true nature of open source software. Unlike Apple (proprietary), open source comes in many flavors and in order to provide updates/upgrades, individual manufactures need time modify the source code to best suit their devices, but because demand from the end user can be quite high, too often those same manufacturers push the software earlier than they would like. But in doing so, a more generic version gets released in order give more end users a "taste". Also, many app creators haven't yet caught up to the upgrade as evident with Netflix. They were slow to even have an Android app to begin with. And they will be slow to update a new fix for gingerbread. This is one of the few faults of open source software.

Upvote 0
It's already been posted in this thread, the issues of this upgrade. I has also been posted that this upgrade was a "compatibility upgrade" and not meant to rectify all known issues. It has already been posted that there will be another update coming shortly to address some of the bugs being reported. Plus, an HTC Sense UI upgrade will be coming with that second upgrade.

Folks need to understand the true nature of open source software. Unlike Apple (proprietary), open source comes in many flavors and in order to provide updates/upgrades, individual manufactures need time modify the source code to best suit their devices, but because demand from the end user can be quite high, too often those same manufacturers push the software earlier than they would like. But in doing so, a more generic version gets released in order give more end users a "taste". Also, many app creators haven't yet caught up to the upgrade as evident with Netflix. They were slow to even have an Android app to begin with. And they will be slow to update a new fix for gingerbread. This is one of the few faults of open source software.
You should realize that you're sourcing a guy who has a very questionable track record.

For the rest of us, I think it would be useful to see what issues are individual, and which are closely tied to the update so we can help out HTC with their debugging.

Upvote 0
You should realize that you're sourcing a guy who has a very questionable track record.

For the rest of us, I think it would be useful to see what issues are individual, and which are closely tied to the update so we can help out HTC with their debugging.

Could you please me the name of this guy so that I know to take their posts with a grain of salt?

Reactions: bdhnder
Upvote 0
I only read the first half of this thread so I dont know if this has been asked or not but is it possible to screen capture on your phone now? I thought that was one of the benifits gingerbread has and I havent figured it out yet. Id like to be able to do it but dont want to root to get the feature.

It was explained that the "shoot me" app was designed for rooted phones, but because of an exploit of Android 2.2, it was working on non-rooted phones. It seems that gingerbread closes that exploit, thus rendering screenshot apps now non-functional.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones