• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread impressions/tips/problems NON ROOTED STOCK ONLY

Has any having issues with Sense restart if you in another application for long amount of time? It starts all the way for the HTC logo load screen.
My biggest issue is I use ADW. and that was constantly redrawing. So I switch back to Sense hoping AnderWeb could come up with a fix. It seems this is more of an inherent problem with the Gingerbread update. Or it just maybe my phone. A setting I may have looked over.

Upvote 0
Here's something else I noticed today. I have a few groups set up in my contacts. When you go into contacts, you always see them alphabetically by first name. And before, when you went into a group, it showed the group alphabetically too, but not anymore. THere's no rhyme or reason to the order inside the groups.

...and the calculator seems a tad different, anyone notice that?

Reactions: kentpavelka
Upvote 0
I noticed this today at work, exact same deal. Before the update I always had 3-4 bars now 1-2

Tonight I tried Mr Ed's fix in the EVO 4g tips & tricks on upgrading 3G speeds as I saw this go down to.

Now my 3G are out of this world fast.
Essentially, you are resetting>updating your profile>but cancel out of the prl update.

Worked.

Thought the signal strength bar still doesn't match the new speeds.

Upvote 0
Anyone else notice pandora not starting as quickly or minutes between songs at times? I contacted Jed at pandora and sent him a log this morning, because Pandora was frustrating to use immediately after updating the other day due to long/failed startups and long loadtimes of next song. Of course this morning it seems to be better. Jim

I specifically came to the forum for this issue! I am about to go to Sprint and demand they give me a new EVO without Gingerbread if for no other reason than Pandora is TOTAL CRAP now! I use Pandora for several hours every day and this making me want to scream. I wish I had read the forums before I downloaded this crap. I only updated earlier today and haven't been on the phone much since then, so I don't know what if any pros/cons I'm on the receiving end of. I was perfectly happy with my phone before and now I want to throw it at the wall. It takes 5 plus minutes for Pandora to even start then it stops after every song and I have to keep hitting play about 20 times before it decided to TRY loading a new song. I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no improvement. I hope I get lucky like you did and that it will be working tomorrow. As of right now, I don't know what I'm going to listen to to go to sleep. VERY SAD :(

Upvote 0
I have to say I'm impressed with this update. Maybe more so because I wasnt expecting much in the first place because of the Froyo update. In the same breath, I can see why many people here are dissapointed in it as they spent countless hours posting in the Gingerbread update thread over the last several months.

For me I see the following:

• Major improvement in scrolling smoothness throughout.
  • When I close an app, the transition back to the sense screen is more of a smooth fade, as to where they used to snap back.
  • The Phandroid App has been fixed for me. This is a huge plus as when scrolling through the news stories, any that had video would crash back to the story home page. I tried everything in fixing this including removing/reinstalling the app to resetting the phone...to no avail. Finally.
  • I'm digging the new Gmail icon and the password unlock screen
The new Sense would have been nice, but i'll get a taste of that on 3D launch day :D

Upvote 0
I specifically came to the forum for this issue! I am about to go to Sprint and demand they give me a new EVO without Gingerbread if for no other reason than Pandora is TOTAL CRAP now! I use Pandora for several hours every day and this making me want to scream. I wish I had read the forums before I downloaded this crap. I only updated earlier today and haven't been on the phone much since then, so I don't know what if any pros/cons I'm on the receiving end of. I was perfectly happy with my phone before and now I want to throw it at the wall. It takes 5 plus minutes for Pandora to even start then it stops after every song and I have to keep hitting play about 20 times before it decided to TRY loading a new song. I uninstalled and reinstalled it with no improvement. I hope I get lucky like you did and that it will be working tomorrow. As of right now, I don't know what I'm going to listen to to go to sleep. VERY SAD :(

Hey long time Evo-ite! Long time, no see. Too bad you are having trouble with your streaming audio. You should try the fix outlined in this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/280082-major-solution-fix-your-slow-3g-speeds-evo4g.html It worked wonders on my streaming audio issues (drop outs, garbled, "white noise", etc.) months back with Froyo. I'm guessing it should work for Gingerbread as well. There is also an even more specific Pandora fix to try if that doesn't work somewhere linked from that thread or original poster.

Reactions: hopalee
Upvote 0
Oh my gosh after I did the update on my evo the battery life on my phone sucks. Even if I'm not using the phone the battery dies fast. Is there anyone having the same problem and how can i fix it?

I did have this same problem, as with the froyo update. I completed a factory reset (since it fixed it the last time) and it fixed this issue for me.

Upvote 0
Remember - on CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) the signal strength doesn't track to number of bars, unlike GSM (AT&T, TMo). ;)

Interesting I didnt know that, what do the bars do then?

They prove I'm an idiot and don't proofread sometimes! :D

The bars track signal strength - but unlike GSM phones, your speed isn't number-of-bars dependent.

I've edited my original post on this. :eek:

Upvote 0
I seem to have lost my Launcher Pro after i did a restart of my phone....anyone else seen this or know how to get it back. i am ready to throw this phone out the window. Please help!!!!

Same thing happened to me. Easy fix.

Go to SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS>ALL... then scroll to HTC SENSE. Hit the "Clear defaults" button, then hit the home button at the bottom of the phone. It should ask you to choose either Sense or LauncherPro. Be sure to select the check box before making a selection.

Reactions: LouieLou74
Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me. Easy fix.

Go to SETTINGS>APPLICATIONS>MANAGE APPLICATIONS>ALL... then scroll to HTC SENSE. Hit the "Clear defaults" button, then hit the home button at the bottom of the phone. It should ask you to choose either Sense or LauncherPro. Be sure to select the check box before making a selection.

Awesome!!! Thank you sooooooo much. That did the trick. My Evie thanks you a well.

Upvote 0
EarlyMon - can you please explain why this is please.

After the Mr Ed's hard reset & updating profile method to clean install the GB OTA, my 3G data speeds are blinding fast but my signal bars are 1/2 what it was in froyo.
The big secret in the cell phone industry is that the signal bars are generally meaningless. ;)

They aren't absolute indicators of strength and should just be relied upon for "relative" comparisons of strengths on a particular phone in a given location. As long as your speeds are good and call quality is solid, then you shouldn't worry about anything else.

Upvote 0
I don't quite understand what's up with Wireless-N support all of a sudden. Immediately after the upgrade I noticed slower browsing and checked my internet speed. All was good, finally tracked it down to Wireless-N support being removed. Apparently this is only for some devices, others are able to connect to wireless-N network? Why aren't there more widespread complaints?

I am using Linksys E4200, mixed mode, 20 or 40MHz, auto channel select. Settings tell me "not in range".

Most other issues did not affect me, Netflix of course is universal. One minor annoyance though, since the update selecting default browser under "Complete action using" is not working for Google Reader and other apps - I have to select which browser to use every time.

While performance has seen a minor increase, I believe my battery life has actually gone down rather than improved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones