• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbreak keeps failing to root 2.2.2 Optimus M

TechSmartBri

Sep 24, 2011
Hi Everyone!!!

I had a Optimus m i rooted before and it was 2.2.2 and i rooted it with gingerbreak with no problems. Then, lol i used ROM MANAGER which just gave me a huge headache and bricked my phone and i used joniedy's unbrick guide then my MEID went missing. the programming wouldnt stick for some reason. It was horrible, so i just said forget it and took into metro. So now i have my "new" replacement phone which came with 2.2.2, now gingerbreak says rooting blah blah for hours and eventually never roots. I just want to use titanium back up to get my apps back and overclock my phone to where i had my old phone

I have my usb debugging enabled
I have my SD card formatted
I reboot after each crappy attempt to root lol
I used the thinkfree office to install gingerbreak

Also i even tried to do a recovery and i found out that it just sits at the LG sign and never did a recovery to my phone and had to just pull the battery and the phone starts back up fine. which is very weird to me

Idk what im doing wrong , this is the second day i had the replacement phone, should i take it back to metro but i dont have anything to claim wrong with it. Anyway if anyone can help me please help it would be greatly appreciated lol :)

-Bri

Here's a possible solution to your problem...Uninstall Gingerbreak and clear any data or cache that it created. Reinstall Gingerbreak but don't open it yet. Now what you'll need to do is download File Expert so that you can access your /system/ later on. If you don't have advanced task killer from the market, get that and kill all tasks that are running. Now run gingerbreak and dont touch the phone at all until it fully reboots and scans the sdcard. If it succeeds then SuperUser and BusyBox will both be installed.

Also: Don't have your phone plugged into anything during the process...and go to settings>applications>development and check Allow Mock Locations.

Upvote 0
Lol. I had the same feeling, but I I wanted to downgrade and root. And it was successful. As long as you installed drivers and programs right and checked over carefully than your good. Just so I could be sure in case I get zeroed out I took all the codes to my phone and took pics in case the downgrade goes wrong. But it went well. Then I updated again (what a waste of time lol) then gingerbreak worked. So now im lucky to have 2.2.2 without bloatware(and without the useless google books :D)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones