• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail calling on android

the carriers will never allow this to happen. ever
It's always interesting to look back on these old threads. Your crystal ball was not working the day you posted this lol!

I've been using the GrooVe IP app to do this. Its not free, but for $4.99 it lets the google voice app use 3g/4g or wifi to place calls from your GV number.
Yep. Google Voice w/ GrooVe IP works great for free voice calling on my phone and wifi-only tablet. You only need a Google Voice account... you don't need to have it running or even installed on your device.

Upvote 0
I believe it needs to be running to receive calls. I have GrooveIP on my Optimus-V and my Galaxy Player, works fine on both. Buy once, use on as many devices that you own (non-Apple). Mine runs anytime I'm on wifi, doesn't seem to drain the battery (always below 5% in stats). Viber only works to other Viber (free), otherwise it uses minutes. Groove uses data only 3G or wifi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones