• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail email and android problems

urbantea

Feb 12, 2013
After I changed from Iphone to this android phone and synced it with GMAIL, i swear I have gmail emailing problems.

In my gmail (on LAPTOP), I would normally type the first few letters of my friend and their email will POP UP and i'd just press enter. Now for 3 people so far...I would type in the few letters and heck- even the entire name and their email does NOT pop up!! I have to search for it in the search bar, find the email and then copy,paste.

I swear this never happend before when I had my iphone

WHy is this ? How can I fix this?

Even one person, who's email disappeared from the pop up list...I emailed him and then i went back to compose a NEW email by typign in his name and his email STILL didnt even pop up, EVEN THOUGH i just emailed him!!!

I'm wondering if Sony's UI is messing with your regular Android functions. 1st your contacts don't work right and you can't do the slide to call thing. Now your Gmail doesn't even try to autofill. Granted I've been using Samsung Products not Sony but I'd expect these basic android functions to work perfectly. How long until you switch back to Apple?

Upvote 0
Well my Samsung S2 is using Ice Cream Sandwich right now. Jellybean hasn't been released for my particular phone yet. What gets me though is I've researched a couple of Jellybean reviews and the slide contact in phone book to call function is still listed as an option. It's even listed in t-mobiles Support documents for the S3 which does run Jellybean.

Use the phone book

To make a call from the phone book, follow these steps:

From any Home screen, tap the Phone icon.
Tap the Contacts tab.
From the contacts list, swipe from left to right across desired contact listing to place a call.

But when I checked the user manual for the Sony Xperia neo V all you can do is.

Call handling:

You can make a call by manually dailing a phone number, by tapping a number saved in your your contact list, or by tapping {the phone handset symbol} next to a number in your Phone Call Log.

It's like Sony left out the cool Android stuff. I was definitely premature in mentioning Jellybean as a possible problem as you can tell after I did my t-mobile research on using Jellybean to make calls.

So while we may be using the same operating system (Android) the manufacturer or even your Cellular Service Provider can make changes in the User Interface that can lead to a different user experience on different phones.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Yeah, that makes no sense to me. If I start typing a name or email my phone suggests any matching email address.... both from my contacts and seemingly any matching email address that I EVER received email from via gmail. I'm wondering if there's an issue with your contacts or the syncing of your contacts. Are you sure you have gmail and your contacts set to sync properly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones