• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Push/Syncing Over Wifi Not Working When Screen is Off

A few weeks ago I noticed that when connected to wifi I wasn't receiving consistent notifications for emails from my Gmail account or my exchange account, but still able to get on the web, check Facebook, and basically do anything else that required a data connection. At the time I was running Incredibly Re-Engineered 2.3. If I received an email while using the phone, I sometimes received a notification, but if the screen was off and the phone was on my desk, then I wouldn't receive a notification. However, the moment I pickup the phone and unlock the screen, I receive an email notification.

I've been experiencing this problem while using multiple ROMs - Redemption 2.4, Incredibly Re-Engineered 2.3 and 2.4, and Incredibly Re-Engineered Z 1.2B (which I'm running right now) - so I don't think the issue is being caused by the ROM. I've made sure that the Wifi sleep policy is set to "never." In Accounts & Sync, "background data" and "auto sync" are both checked, as are all the sync options for my individual accounts. That being said, everything works fine on 3G, regardless of the ROM.

I really don't know what else I can do to fix this problem, and I'm desperate to fix it. Any suggestions?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones