• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Sync Never Stops

This problem seems to be intermittant. Happens sometimes, and other times all is fine.

I have a Motorola Droid running 2.0.1. Problem occurs when I have Background Data and Auto Sync enabled. Occasionally, the sync icon will show up in the Notification Bar and not go away. Investigating the issue further (going into Sync Settings and then into the google account submenu) shows the Gmail sync is running and running and never appearing to complete. The worst part of this is when it happens it EATS the battery. Going into the phone's battery details will show the gapps process as having been 30-50% of the battery drain. (in the times when this is not happening, gapps doesn't even come close to that level of battery usage).

I have been able to get around it by disabling and then reenabling the gmail sync. After I do that the sync will completely perfectly. However, it is just as apt to happen again next time that Gmail tries to sync.

I do want to have the auto-sync enabled, but it is hurting my battery life more than it should. (In fact, I had it plugged into the car dock and was using navigation the other day. It started having this problem too and the battery drained faster than the car charger was able to charge it!)

Has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure where to start looking for answers.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones