• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail update - serious bootlop bug

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
I have found reports of the latest Gmail app update bringing with it a bug which causes people to end up in eternal bootloop hell. It seems to have something to do with an autosync option which when applied causes the phone to reboot over and over and over. Many people are having to do a factory re-set to regain use of their otherwise useless phone.

Have a look at this:

Google Groups[1-25-false]

I have a Gmail app update showing on my phone as available in the Play Store but for now I am refusing to apply the update until I know the bug has been fixed. The update doesn't give a version no but it does seem to date back to 01/10/2013.

Does anyone know any more about this issue? I cannot find any response from Google about the problem nor any evidence of a bug fix, even though this problem - which you have to say is a huge one for those affected - seems to have appeared nearly a week ago. You would think that Google would rectify something this big asap...or perhaps I'm being naive?

Thanks for the replies. No, I'm not rooted (and neither do I want to be) and I don't know what a custom recovery is, so presumably I don't have one!

Whilst the bug doesn't seem to affect everyone, there are enough reports of people that are affected (and badly) to put me off risking to update Gmail until such time as they have released a new update with a fix. Gmail works fine in my current version. If it ain't broke...

As I said I'm just surprised that there has been no official acknowledgement of the problem (which by any standards is a serious one) from Google.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones