• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good impression of Samsung being lost fast

doc1964

Android Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2010
Scotland
Surely this cannot be right.
I plugged my S3 into laptop yesterday and Kies told me that it had to upgrade to Kies 3 in order to function now with my S3. I Ok'd this and upgraded to Kies 3. Checked for upgraded firmware but got message saying my S3 was no longer compatible with firmware upgrading via Kies. I had updated to an official Samsung unbranded firmware using Odin a few weeks ago, so although surprised at this message, I accepted it as being to do with Odin being used. No big problem I thought. I then decided to check for any upgrades for my Tab 2 and this time when I plugged it in I received a message saying it was not compatible with Kies 3 and I would need to instal Kies 2.6. It would not however allow both versions to be housed on the one PC, so if I want to do anything with my S3 or Tab 2, it looks like I have to install and uninstall different versions of Kies each time. Surely, I am missing something here, this cannot be the case and if it is then I am afraid it really leaves Samsung looking ridiculous as far as their software goes, especially following on from the recent 4.3 upgrade debacle. I have had an S1, S2 before my S3, also have a Tab 2. Was considering buying a Tab3 10 inch tablet but decided against it when I read that the intel chip used in it does not allow mirroring (the tab 3 8 inch does allow it as it uses a different chip). My wife has a Galaxy Note and there are two other S3's in the house. I was aiming for the S5 when it is released but am now likely to look at the new HTC or Sony that are due out shortly. If I do then this will also influence all of the other renewal contracts coming up in the near future. Have Samsung taken their eye off the ball. (P.s. I don't want loads of software features running in the background registering if I blink, hover or breathe or whatever else they come up with, I invariably turn most of these off. I would rather they focussed on reducing battery draw so I could have GPS, maps, videos, oh and use of my phone for a longer period of time.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones