• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good Video Players.. Are there any?

kempyk

Lurker
Nov 23, 2010
Hi,

Im trying to use my Desire HD to replace the large amount of video watching i do on iPod. The standard player just doesnt do things i expect such as:
Allow me to sort videos by name (a picture of 20 episodes is no help)
Remember where i left off watching each episode/film when i pick it up the next day

I only use the standard formats like DIVX and MPEG4

Do any of you know any apps that can do this? i dont mind paying as its got to be cheaper than a new ipod :D

Searching the market turns up a load of badly described rubbish :(

I use VPlayer and it does all of that (sorta). You browse your media files by directory structure and it's sortable by size or alphabetically. It remembers where you are if you've stopped watching in the middle (in fact, I just verified it kept the place of a movie I was last watching two weeks ago, as well as a movie that I stopped in the middle of yesterday). I'm not sure of all the formats it's able to view, but I know that I haven't found one yet that it couldn't play and several of those that don't play in the stock video player.

Best of all is it's free for now. I first downloaded it as VPlayer Alpha, but I just noticed that an update at some point brought it up to VPlayer Beta. It wouldn't surprise me if it went pay when it goes gold.

If you've been using an iPhone (and/or get your video files marked as ripped for iPhone from "questionable" sources) they'll work just fine in Vplayer

Reactions: kempyk
Upvote 0
I use both vPlayer and mVideoPlayer.
I first used mVideoPlayer, but one day it didn't play one file. For that, I sought for another and found vPlayer. Subtitles were important for me. So both does that.

But with vPlayer, if I recall right, I was not able to play last 4-5 minutes of my videos.

And now suprisingly, mVideoPlayer started to play the very same file that it couldn't play a week ago. So, my vote goes toooooooooo mVideoPlayer. Definitely!

They are both free, but if mVideoPlayer was not free, I could pay up to 5 dollars to it. And it does everything you want, and plays those files you want.

Reactions: kempyk
Upvote 0
vPlayer is the most functional for my EVO. The programmer started charging for the app, which I usually don't have a problem with, except he promised from the getgo that the app will ALWAYS be free. I understand wanting a little back for your hard work but don't make a promise you can't keep. Breaks the trust of your customers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones