• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Goodbye i7500

What device did you get after your Galaxy i7500?

• Total voters
well im glad to see so many people getting replacement phones.

I was in the same boat as you pov, i decided to take a refurb SGS as my renewal is not for a few months

My phone came in bubble wrap, no box, no charger, no instructions.
I dont mind too much, its the same charger as the i7500 and any instructions are either pre installed or can be found on the internet.

I downloaded kies, sync'd with google and was away!

The phone itself was immaculate with no scratches etc

It is light years infront of my rooted i7500 although the battery is a lot worse

maybe android 2.2 ( out on friday ) will help

Good luck to everyone else

Upvote 0
"How are you finding the battery life...?"

I forgot to plug it in overnight the other day, and it was still well over half the following morning. The Samsung would've been deader than tank-tops.
Great innit :) The number of people getting replacements is crazy! o2 clearly accept there's a problem with the 7500s...

Upvote 0
I do wonder, y'know.

They've not made any sort of official announcement for what I'm assuming is a variety of fairly obvious reasons. But they very clearly acknowledge at least internally that the Galaxy wasn't fit for purpose.

Still, it's all good. Even though I ended up with a "refurbished" Desire, the only way you'd know it wasn't new would be the lack of box (care more) and accessories.

Upvote 0
I am sick to death of the samsung i7500! I've had no end of problems, and all O2 are saying is, we've tried to repair it can find no fault, it's likely to be your SIM card (which is also fairly new).
I had an hour long discussion with an o2 repairs team member and they have reluctantly agreed to send me out a 2nd replacement.

The problems I keep getting are the intermittent, turning it's self on and off, the dial screen coming on half way through a conversation, it missing sms's and calls and not finding out about them until my phone switches it's self off then back on again.
It loses reception, and 3g connection, the battery life is shockingly bad.

And to top it off, I started my 18 month contract at

Upvote 0
Have you not contacted the complaintsreview peeps? I emailed then 3 times to get a response and a lady rang me and offered another i7500 as there are 'no problems with the newer i7500s'. I emailed back saying I absolutely didn't want it and all they had to do to keep my custom at the end of my contract is send me a different phone: they are sending a Galaxy S.

Stand your ground, ignore the other customer service departments, list your issues and tell them you have followed repairs procedures and advice and tell them what they can/should do for you.

As a last resort tell them you know full well they are replacing i7500s all over the country and tell them about this forum.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Well I complained as per the format 2weeks 3 days ago and havent heard anything. Havent had time to hassle the b******s yet. :mad:

Not using my phone much now and my contract expires Feb - so my current plan is to sit it out and sack Samsung and O2 for good. The way those companies have treated the punters on this one they dont deserve my service. ;)

Upvote 0
It is good to know that there are people who understand consumers, I'm happy for you guys. I'm on Croatia Tele2 contract 2 years. Last time thats for sure. Samsug galaxy what a joke, no update for 7 months, lol even htc hero got an update. I bought samsung 3 times first time, last time and never again. Soon I'm gonna get rid off this crappy device.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't fully understand why people want to get away from the Galaxy so much. As a phone, it fits my needs perfectly. And it was much cheaper than many other models when I bought it about a year ago.

I needed an update to 1.6 and I got it (otherwise I couldn't connect to WPA2 networks). Is 2.x that much of a game changer? Besides Bluetooth (which I don't use) and minor differences in general performances, I don't get why people want updates so much.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a better phone for free, I'm not crazy. ;) I just don't get why people are so upset with the device. And we've got Drakaz!

Upvote 0
To be honest, I don't fully understand why people want to get away from the Galaxy so much. As a phone, it fits my needs perfectly. And it was much cheaper than many other models when I bought it about a year ago.

I needed an update to 1.6 and I got it (otherwise I couldn't connect to WPA2 networks). Is 2.x that much of a game changer? Besides Bluetooth (which I don't use) and minor differences in general performances, I don't get why people want updates so much.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a better phone for free, I'm not crazy. ;) I just don't get why people are so upset with the device. And we've got Drakaz!

A part about Drakaz is so true. ;)
Without him we all would be stuck on 1.5, some on 1.6= Sam*censored crappy ROM. And now he gives his all to bring 2.2.1 (a.k.a. Froyo) to Galaxy which the unit would never get an official update from you know who. With GAOSP the unit will not be Galaxy S, but nevertheless it's nice to boast to Sam*censored about it.

Upvote 0
a quick thanks to everyone in this thread esp the first poster :cool:
I bought a i7500 over 12 months ago on O2, then recently I gave up and bought a Nexus One on ebay.
I had accepted that I was just an early adopter and had written off my galaxy costs, but this thread gave me hope, so i customised the letter and sent it on two occassions to the complaints dept.
They phoned me and Im now in possession of a HTC Desire (+ battery , no box or accessories) :eek:. I had to send my galaxy back as well.

All in all a great result, which allows me to claw back some of my Nexus One costs. (as an aside I played with the Desire and I really like the Sense UI which was unexpected)
Im keeping the Nexus for now, with an upgrade possible in 4 months time.

Thanks for everyones help. If you have an O2 i7500 then contact them and get it changed. The speed differences alone are pretty mind blowing.

John

Upvote 0

Haven't you experienced any of the issues in the complaint letters in the thread? Some of them are pretty major - I was actually missing calls as the phone just wouldn't bother alerting. Among many, many others.
Doing anything on the Galaxy is just a struggle. When you try an actually capable phone the difference is staggering.

Upvote 0
If you're happy with the Galaxy, I can only assume you've never used another Android handset.

Performance differences aside, the problem with being stuck on 1.6 is that developers are slowly dropping support for it. It's like saying, on the face of it there's nothing "wrong" with Windows 98. However, good luck getting modern apps and hardware to work with it.

Upvote 0
Haven't you experienced any of the issues in the complaint letters in the thread? Some of them are pretty major - I was actually missing calls as the phone just wouldn't bother alerting. Among many, many others.
Doing anything on the Galaxy is just a struggle. When you try an actually capable phone the difference is staggering.
Not really. Even my GPS works perfectly fine. I hope it's going to stay that way! ;)

There's one thing though, the touch screen doesn't work during calls but that's to be expected because I carry the phone in my pockets without any protection and I'm too lazy to blow the dust off the proximity sensor. I need to use the keys, but that's a minor issue for me.

If you're happy with the Galaxy, I can only assume you've never used another Android handset.

Performance differences aside, the problem with being stuck on 1.6 is that developers are slowly dropping support for it. It's like saying, on the face of it there's nothing "wrong" with Windows 98. However, good luck getting modern apps and hardware to work with it.

Well, I got pretty much everything I need when talking about apps. And since the hardware is getting old, I don't really care if the new software isn't available to me. A computer running Windows 98 probably can't run Windows 7. :D

All I'm trying to say is that the Galaxy isn't so bad, at least in my case. If I had to do it again, I would. :eek:

Upvote 0

I agree with DaSchmarotzer. I have had this I7500 for 3 months now and i've upgraded to Froyo (I must say i was happy with Galaxo as well) and of course, there may be few issues but as long as it serves the purpose of the user, it won't be fair to curse the model as such. Thanks to Drakaz and all other developers who work towards providing better firmware.

Regards,
Sri Harsha.

Upvote 0
I had that phone for close to a year. I have to say it was alright but it wasn't what it should have been. There are so many little flaws and some very major issues that held it back. When you compare it to other phones released around the same time. You can clearly see that we could have done better. That is why I jumped ship.

Upvote 0
I suppose none of you guys who gave Galaxy a good rate, didnt have problems with incoming sound ringing, which is so quiet sometimes even if the ringing volume is set to loudest - software bug very annoying, needs reset
Battery life - dont want to talk about it
Battery charging for 3,5 - 4 hours nowdays - please
Hero 2.1 rom with Htc sense UI - Galaxy 1.6 rom is barely naked and so slow compared to Hero baaah.
Only one good thing about Samsung is 5mpx camera.
When you think about Galaxy the first thing that comes on my mind is '' SLOW ''
Galaxy has 528 mhz processor, sony expiria x10 mini = 600 mhz proc and 128 mb internal memory and it runs 2.1 eclair.
Handset is 1.5 year out on the market and last software support was 7 months ago.

Well, I got pretty much everything I need when talking about apps. And since the hardware is getting old, I don't really care if the new software isn't available to me. A computer running Windows 98 probably can't run Windows 7.

My man you forgot that there are Windows ME, XP and Vista before windows 7, it matters.

Upvote 0
So I complained again and mentioned that my renewal is up in not that long (thansk for the idea) and I should probably go back to my previous supplier who at least had customer service (well I assume they did lol - i never had to use it).

Not much wrestling at all - I just stuck to "its on 1.5" and for elaboration "all the stuff in the market is needing 2.2 these days". They asked me some leading question about "was I mis-sold the phone" - I said I wasnt interesting in pointing fingers just wanted it sorted. They did say "you havent been able to update the software" so I guess that could cover firmware updates as well as android.

I was offered a Galaxy S - I just burst out laughing and said "never again" and the help person said "I guess I can understand that". They then offered me a swap (for a factory reconditioned/refurbished phone "not a second hand one" (I checked)) out of:

HTC HD2
H
TC HD7
HTC DESIRE
SAMSUNG GALAXY S
SONY ERICSSON X10

I guess the Desire is the way to go?

Anyway thanks to this community for all the support and ideas and help in pointing the way out of 1.5-dom for someone who doesnt have the time to start hacking up the device and installing new OSes etc.

Seems to be that 02 if pressed will move on - I assume they are fed up of the damn device by now ... I assume 20% of the phones cause most of the service hassle (I did ask if they had a list of bum phones and the question was avoided lol).

So long and thanks for all the fish :)

Upvote 0
I was offered a Galaxy S - I just burst out laughing and said "never again" and the help person said "I guess I can understand that". They then offered me a swap (for a factory reconditioned/refurbished phone "not a second hand one" (I checked)) out of:

HTC HD2
HTC HD7
HTC DESIRE
SAMSUNG GALAXY S
SONY ERICSSON X10

I guess the Desire is the way to go?

I'd go with either the Desire or the HTC HD7. And yeah, that's a Windows 7 phone. :D

If you want Android, then the Desire is a no brainer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones