• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Goodbye to android, wish you had been better

I had an HTC Droid Eris and was very disappointed for two reasons:
1) THE worst battery life of any phone I ever had. I could not get more that 9 hours, even with bluetooth and wifi off. HTC has needs to fix the battery life problem before anyone should buy this phone.
2) while I originally thought the smaller size to be an advantage, it soon became evident that the smaller screen and accompanying smaller soft keys made it impossible to type without constant backspacing and correction.
.:(

Smart phones have bad battery life get over it 9 hours is pretty good. My battery went from 6 hours to 1w hours gotta let it break in man

Upvote 0
I've had the Motorola Droid for a week and I can't put it down. The navagation is great, connecting to wi-fi is easy and fast, found great apps; I could go on and on. I also like changing Themes with Open Home which changes the backgroung and icons. I have co-workers with the i-phone and it's good to but the Droid is something special.

Upvote 0
I had an HTC Droid Eris and was very disappointed for two reasons:
1) THE worst battery life of any phone I ever had. I could not get more that 9 hours, even with bluetooth and wifi off. HTC has needs to fix the battery life problem before anyone should buy this phone.
2) while I originally thought the smaller size to be an advantage, it soon became evident that the smaller screen and accompanying smaller soft keys made it impossible to type without constant backspacing and correction.
.:(

the reason the battery sucks is because people demand potato-chip thin phones. You can't have a high capacity battery in a tiny flat phone. The technology is just not there. The G1 had the same issue, I shelled out 60 bucks for the seidio extended battery and now my phone lasts over a day. I rarely see the battery go to red. I stream pandora through bluetooth headphones while reading on the train 2 hours a day. My phone is 14/16 of an inch thick now, but to me -- that's not a drawback. It's much more solid in my hands now that it's not so thin.

Upvote 0
I have to chime in also.. I've owned WinMo, Apple, well you name it I've had one.. Windows phones - their ok, they do cool stuff, Apple phones - their ok, they do cool stuff, Android phones - their ok, they do cool stuff..... Stop bashing and just get the phone you like the most. Apple's phone is not BETTER than the Droid, just different, and you can laugh at the WinMo phones, but they are nice, very useful devices. I think it is funny when people buy a new phone and hate it because it's not their old phone.. I have noticed there are only a couple of reasons for phone bashing. Either the person doesn't understand the interface and is unwilling to re-learn, or there is something wrong with the phone and they don't know it.
I have returned many phones for replacement, but, not because I didn't know how to work it, but because there was something wrong with the phone. I could go on and on about stupitidy, but instead I will just say, of all the phones I've owned, for me, the Droid is the most fun and as fast(or faster) than any of them. If you are truely using your phone for business purposes only then get a friggin business phone, then get yourself a Droid for everything else, cause they are REALLY fun, haha...
Ok, I'm done.... Your turn. :)

Upvote 0
Android is only on 1.5/1.6/2.0.

So, even while being a whole version behind, Android is still slowly stealing iPhone users away. As of now, iPhone is still superior imho. However, Apple is seriously going to need to step it up if they hope to compete with android, because by the time Android is on even 2.5, I have a hunch it will be running circles around iPhone 3.0.

My issue with Android (and I really want to like it) is this upgrade path. I am using an HTC Magic right now on ver 1.6. For Xmas I am looking at getting my son a T-Mobile Pulse on ver 1.5 (best alternative to an iPhone I can find).

Wht's concerning me is whether the Pulse will get any OS upgrade and if not, how soon will it be before he's not able to use any new apps? I am looking at the Hero for my own upgrade in Feb. Will that ever get ver 2.0?

At least with iPhone, no-one is being "upgraded out" of the loop. Anyone with an iPhone can get an upgrade to the newest version and gain all these features.

Committing to 18month contracts on these things and then finding that four months down the line the OS is upgraded, my phone isn't and then all development moves towards the newest OS is a big worry - iPhone looks a lot more "future-proof" for the consumer.

Upvote 0
You sir, are a moron...
Have you noticed the majority of users are liking the phone far more than the iPhone??
You gave us no reasoning...
Your going to a WINDOWS MOBILE DEVICE DURRRRR...
Your opinion means nothing because obviously you know nothing...

Ok...let's be honest with ourselves here...no need to pretend it's different than it is.

1)Of course most people here are liking the eris more than the iphone, it's the "android forums." I would highly doubt that if you took average users, the eris would rate higher than the iphone.

2)I agree that the op should have been specific in his reasoning, and for that, he is a moron for posting.

3)UGG...seriously, windows mobile? I just threw up a little.

4)I think the iPhone is a tremendous phone that is a tough one to beat. My gripes with the iPhone stem from the closed atmosphere...it's my phone, why the hell can't I do what I want with it. Also, I really really like widgets to see what I want really quickly. The last thing is multitasking....come on apple, dear lord...

5)The android OS is real close....unbelievably close to being up to the challenge at this point. In fact, I would almost argue that 2.0, with navigation, put it over the edge. Now, we just need a killer phone to compete...for me, that phone is not out yet.

Upvote 0
People do have a right to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to agree.

I love my Hero, and I would never go back to any non-android phone. There are different strokes for different folks so if the Iphone is your thing so be it. I just think Android is the future, and it is only getting better with time. The Iphone took a while to get to this point and no doubt will also improve, but any further improvements will be accomplished by trying to imitate Android OS functions. Just my 0.02 :D

Dont say that! I said that when i first switched to WinMo, Lets face it, the way things are going, in 3/4 years something is going to come up thats bigger, badder, and faster than andriod, and you may very well switch!

Upvote 0
Why take up so much room when on screen keyboards are so good?
Not everyone shares your preferences. I have no complaints with my Droid. Good luck finding a suitable device for you.

Wht's concerning me is whether the Pulse will get any OS upgrade and if not, how soon will it be before he's not able to use any new apps? I am looking at the Hero for my own upgrade in Feb. Will that ever get ver 2.0?
What exactly makes you think that they won't?

People seem to feel so entitled to what they want and now. Just because the upgrade isn't available yet doesn't mean that it will never be.

Upvote 0
What exactly makes you think that they won't?

People seem to feel so entitled to what they want and now. Just because the upgrade isn't available yet doesn't mean that it will never be.

There's nothing specific that makes me think they won't other than the fact that the T-Mobile Pulse is still being sold with 1.5 on it when 1.6 is very much the standard.

It's less to to with feeling entitled and more to do with the investment. People commit to long term contracts on their phones. I am debating between the Hero and an iPhone myself. I think the Android is the better phone, whereas right now, the iPhone is better supported app-wise. My fear is that in a year's time, my Android will still be on 1.6 or maybe 2.0 whereas the newest will be 3.5 or something. Applications will be made that run only on newer OS versions and I'll be left in the cold.

Although iPhone is NOT as good as a phone, I am tempted because (so far) no-one has been left out of any new application by an OS upgrade.

Upvote 0
Dear OP, why don't you step your shiny glamourous iPhetish down to the 1.6 OS and try to move around? That way, you will have a fair base for comparision. Better forget about all the iFart and iAmRich apps, because guess what? iPhone at the same stage of development Android 1.6 is right now didn't even have an App Store! So go on, leave this happy community and go back to your crappy network and your pretty toy that can't do anything without Apple's blessing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones