• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Goodbye :'(

ben1122a

Sep 14, 2012
Looks like my time has come. I just purchased the Nexus 5. I have had this phone for ~3 years, and I have raged at it countless times. The only thing that kept me from flinging it against the wall was all the devs and helpful people here.
So....

Farewell and good luck with your future endeavors!

Have a good one ben1122a :)

I just bought the 32gb Nexus 5 myself, although I will still be lurking here a lot on the forums as it was most ever friendly and great people.

I want to thank all the devs (you know who you's are) and others who helped out (forum posts) to make the best of this phone.

To this day, my phone is still trouble free

Upvote 0
I ordered 2x Nexus 5's unfortunately after lunch on Halloween... So I'm waiting for delivery around Thanksgiving :*( After keeping my finger on the pulse I hesitated to pull the trigger. Anyway come end of November I'll have 2x Optimus V and 1x Moto Triumph and 2x $25/mo plans available... anyone that's interested in these can PM me...

Now to decide Nexus 5 on Metro PCS (Tmobile) for $35/mo (family discount) with 500MB 4G data or on StraightTalk (AT&T) for $45/mo with 2.5GB of 4G data... decisions, decisions, but the $100 rebate for bring your own phone/number on MetroPCS has me leaning heavily in that direction.

In all honesty it's too bad Sprint/VM STILL doesn't have 4G in my area :( I'd happily stay on VM at $35/mo if I could get decent service around here.

Upvote 0
Got my Nexus 5's yesterday and boy are they nice compared to what I was using! Ended up going with tmobile but it's definitely not as cheap as VM was. Also if you tell them you want your account number so you can change your number to a different carrier they will offer you discounts on a new phone etc, figured they would but never thought to try. Thanks devs for everything you did for the triumph!

Upvote 0
Got my Nexus 5's yesterday and boy are they nice compared to what I was using! Ended up going with tmobile but it's definitely not as cheap as VM was. Also if you tell them you want your account number so you can change your number to a different carrier they will offer you discounts on a new phone etc, figured they would but never thought to try. Thanks devs for everything you did for the triumph!

I'm in love with this nexus 5. If you are looking for a cheaper plan, try researching t-mobiles $30 100 minutes, unlim text, unlim data w/ 5gb lte. Could be a good option for you.

Upvote 0
I had my Triumph for a year before I moved to the S2. When I made the jump, it felt like I was betraying the devs that worked so hard to make that phone a nice phone. I passed it onto my son who doesn't make a lot of money, so for him to be able to stay on the $25 plan was huge. He is still using it today.

Upvote 0
I'm in love with this nexus 5. If you are looking for a cheaper plan, try researching t-mobiles $30 100 minutes, unlim text, unlim data w/ 5gb lte. Could be a good option for you.

I looked at that TMo $30 plan, but even with my very light phone use (barely ever went over my 300 on VM) 100 minutes is pretty sparse... 3 minutes per day.

I ended up on MetroPCS 2x $35 plan ($5 off with >1 phone). $70 with 500GB of data. If it's not enough, the 2.5GB plan is only $45 on family discount. Straight talk is also $45 so that seems to be the sweet spot for unlimited minutes/SMS and 2.5GB of data right now.

FYI: anyone with 3 or more lines would do well to look at MetroPCS they are offering 2 lines for $70, 3 for $90 or 4 for $100 a month, but they throttle data after 500MB per line. They're also offering a $50 mail in rebate for activating a non T-mobile phone and another $50 for porting in your number. I ended up qualifying for $200 in rebates by activating 2 Nexus 5s.

I just try to use wifi for anything demanding and save my LTE minutes for email/yelp/surfing/Gmaps etc... The Nexus 5 is infinitely better than Triumph... And LTE is infinitely better than 3G. Either way it's getting near time for most people to retire their $25 plans and move on. $35 a month is a small price to pay for a more modern phone and LTE service, even if you stay with VM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones