• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google and Android OTA policies need a change

kristovaher

Aug 1, 2010
Google should change their Android update flow by sending updates to phones that request it manually and then send it automatically to those that do not request it manually.

It is frustrating to have your phone tell you that your phone is up to date when in fact it is not, especially when you are missing a critical fix that has been sent to other users already almost two days ago.

The amount of people who do manual updates is very small compared to total amount of users, so it makes no sense for these updates to be held.

My frustration comes from the 'fix' to Galaxy Nexus smartphones first and foremost, since it fixes a critical bug that currently holds my phone from being used as a phone. The OTA is less than 1MB in size and for some reason takes a week to roll out to the very small amount of Galaxy Nexus devices out there.

I know there are no Google people here, but I just needed to post this somewhere.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones