• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts Question

I just recently finished importing 855 records into Google Contacts for a friend. His database goes back to the earliest days of the Palm PDA when only seven-digit phone numbers were required when dialing from within an area code so he has several hundred seven-digit phone numbers in his Google Contacts.

I don't remember where, when, or in what program I saw this but it seems to me I saw a program that had a setting in it that if the area code was not part of a phone number (in other words, seven digits) there was a place to enter a default area code that would be automatically dialed with it.

Is there such a setting in Google Contacts?

Are all of those 'several hundred' seven-digit phone numbers actually going to be using same area code (i.e. all are local). That seems unlikely.
This would appear to be a case where your friend needs to sit down and start manually editing his contacts listing (matching area codes to current addresses).
Good luck finding an app can read his mind and/or automatically be able to assess each address and match it with its area code. That will involve some pretty hefty AI.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Are all of those 'several hundred' seven-digit phone numbers actually going to be using same area code (i.e. all are local). That seems unlikely.
This would appear to be a case where your friend needs to sit down and start manually editing his contacts listing (matching area codes to current addresses).
Good luck finding an app can read his mind and/or automatically be able to assess each address and match it with its area code. That will involve some pretty hefty AI.
Your reply shows a lack of understanding of how one would use a database in the days of seven-digit phone numbers. My friend and I both live in the 205 area. Nearly all the numbers we used in the seven-digit era were numbers for within the same 205 area so there was no need to add an area code unless the number was outside our area code. Therefore, nearly all the numbers are seven-digit numbers.

Your sarcasm is not helpful and I wish you the same return from like minded people who make themselves feel good by putting someone else down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ahh, so you're the overly sensitive type. OK. I wasn't being dismissive at all. It's just that you didn't actually specify all those hundreds of contact entries were local in your original posting so if it was a matter that required adding in missing area codes, each of those contact entries would have to be assessed to get an address and then matched to an online listing of area codes. That would have to be done manually by your friend or automatically by a powerful AI technology.
But getting back to the original problem, since you are implying you're comfortable working with raw database data why don't you just correct the problem yourself? The actual Contacts app database file is stored in an restricted, system level directory so it's off-limits to general users. You can use the Contacts app to export an editable file. Just use the Contacts app to export a vcf file, and then open that up in MS Excel, LibreOffice Calc, or whatever to edit that resulting spreadsheet. Save the file and then import it back into the Contacts app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones