• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Whatsapp: Can't restore backup on new phone

Danieljhill

Lurker
Mar 22, 2023
Hello. URGENT. I have a new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and I can't get Whatsapp to transfer my chats from the old phone: Samsung Galaxy S20fe. I've tried everything.

I've tried backing up the old phone, and it doesn't do a complete backup: only 828MB when it should be about 1.4GB. I then install Whatsapp on the new phone, obtain the six digit code from the old phone, enter my phone number, then password.

After that, Whatsapp opens, but with only 32MB of chats from the past few days, not my (incomplete) backed up database. Also, after I enter my phone number and six digit code, Whatsapp goes straight to the list of chats. My phone doesn't show the additional screens: the option for Whatsapp to access contacts and media; and also, Backup found and option to restore it from Google Drive.

I spent two hours with a nice, knowledgeable guy in the T-Mobile store yesterday. He couldn't solve the problem. I have to return the old phone within the next two days or I lose my $800 credit on the new phone. Help! Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones