• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Smart Switch didn't transfer WhatsApp messages to my new phone

As per header, I used Smart Switch to transfer files from my 7-year-old old S5 phone to my new S22. Contacts, audio, photos, video and SMS messages transferred okay and the WhatsApp app (among others) was transferred but not my old conversations.
I have a Smart Switch backup of the old phone on my desktop PC, although I did the actual transfer via wi-fi between the two phones. Is there any way to recover the old conversations?

As per header, I used Smart Switch to transfer files from my 7-year-old old S5 phone to my new S22. Contacts, audio, photos, video and SMS messages transferred okay and the WhatsApp app (among others) was transferred but not my old conversations.
I have a Smart Switch backup of the old phone on my desktop PC, although I did the actual transfer via wi-fi between the two phones. Is there any way to recover the old conversations?
You need to use WA's built-in backup + restore feature, in the app itself

Upvote 0
You can use either WiFi or mobile data (cellular) for your WhatsApp backup/restore, but if you don't have WiFi access than yeah, you'll need to switch the SIM card back temporarily.
It's important to keep regular backups of your WhatsApp data, don't ever rely upon just your phone as the only source for your current WhatsApp usage, and the same applies to all your phone data. Really, don't skip backing up your data. It may seem like a worthless task but backups are important.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
If your old Whatsapp conversations were not transferred during the smart switch process. check if you had enabled the Whatsapp cloud backup feature on your old S5 phone. If you did, you can restore the backup on your new S22 by installing Whatsapp and verifying your phone number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Smart Switch is broken AF. The only time it even worked at all was after troubleshooting it for over an hour at Spectrum when going from Verizon to Spectrum Mobile, a Galaxy A03s to a Galaxy A14 5G. It ultimately transferred stuff, some 17GiB of data, but while it got all my apps OK, it didn't get their data (only my conversations from SMS/MMS and emails) and saved wifi, and that was it. It completely forgot settings such as my schedule for Do Not Disturb, my routines, my dark mode settings, and blocked call settings (had to resetup those from scratch). It also ignored my 3K of MP3s on the other phone, thankfully I copied them to the SD so it wasn't an issue.

I'm one of a few who refuses to do cloud or streaming. I do physical media and keep all my songs on my device. I will never understand why anyone opts for the 256GB model smartphone and never uses any of it (unless packing it to the brim with useless apps counts). Everyone wants to tell me time and again how the 'cloud is the future' and how I must 'adapt or be left behind' but who is left behind when their internet goes down? the one who needs the internet to even listen to music, while me, the old curmudgeon who keeps his songs in his pocket has no issue internet or no internet.

Reactions: Gallopinhairpin
Upvote 0
If you can't get Samsung's Smart Switch utility to backup/transfer/restore your WhatsApp content, use the backup/restore function that's already included in the WhatsApp app itself, that's the recommended way to backup WhatsApp anyway:
WhatsApp is its own proprietary and very inclusive service so it's not surprising when others don't have full access to the WhatsApp content in your phone. Just use what WhatsApp suggests you should be using.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I got my T-Mobile phone yesterday and used the Samsung Smart Switch app to transfer all of my files from my S7 to my S8+. Things mostly worked fine but I noticed that my text messages didn't transfer so I did the Smart Switch again, this time only transferring messages, and they still didn't come over. It's not the end of the world however I had A LOT of messages which took a lot of space. Considering I did it twice, I'm afraid they actually are somewhere on my phone taking memory but the native Messages app or Textra (which is what I actually use) can't see them. Any ideas on where I can look to see if they are on my phone? I noticed that my call log didn't transfer over either but my apps and pictures did.
your post is slightly confusing. you posted in the whatsapp thread, but it seems like you are talking about text messages. smart switch does not really backup text messages. i would use backup sms pro for your text messages.

they have a free version, but the pro is worth the price.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones