• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Latitude - slow/infrequent location updates

enigma2k

Jun 26, 2010
I am using Google Latitude and my location updates are very infrequently.
My update reach from half and hour to 7 hours. Often it only updates every 3 hours. My battery is full to 3/4 at this time.

According to Google the updates depend on how often you move and how strong your battery is, but the update will never take longer than 1 hour.

Do you guys experience the same problem?

I have been noticing this, and can verify that it worked great on my Cyanogenmodded G1. But my stock Nexus has the same problem as we are seeing here, maybe it is something with the priority assigned to the Latitude process or something. It seems like the stock phones have issues with it reliably updating. In fact, my Nexus rarely updates it at all in the background, I have to open maps to get it to update, and the widget hardly ever worked right. At least on the Cappy the widget seems to work and it updates some...
It seems like the earlier version of Maps which first featured Latitude worked a heck of a lot better...

Upvote 0
I have noticed recently since the latest update that friends and coworkers phones seem to go stale more often. I checked their phones and they were set to best location as was mine but we still show up stale. Also I had noticed the accuracy sometimes is great within several hundred feet and then off by as much as 30 miles as happened yesterday. One minute my friend was on atlantic blvd and within a 3 minute change of time the new position was almost 15 miles away on federal highway, I know she bought a new car but did not know it had Jet engines. Another 2 to 3 minutes later it corrected and she was back on Atlantic. Her husband's phone is always showing stale even though he is signed into Latittude. Is there some weird testing going on?

Upvote 0
I have noticed recently since the latest update that friends and coworkers phones seem to go stale more often. I checked their phones and they were set to best location as was mine but we still show up stale. Also I had noticed the accuracy sometimes is great within several hundred feet and then off by as much as 30 miles as happened yesterday. One minute my friend was on atlantic blvd and within a 3 minute change of time the new position was almost 15 miles away on federal highway, I know she bought a new car but did not know it had Jet engines. Another 2 to 3 minutes later it corrected and she was back on Atlantic. Her husband's phone is always showing stale even though he is signed into Latittude. Is there some weird testing going on?
Seeing as this topic has resurfaced, here's a little bit of additional news for you.

Latitude is notorious for not providing an accurate positional data.
Part of this is down to poor 3G signals but the most is down to an inadequate update service.

As such my colleagues and I use the App 'Glymps' to keep in contact with each other.
Glymps is by far and above superior to Latitude.
Not only do you receive accurate updates but if you zoom in whilst the sender is transmitting his/her positional data you can actually watch the smooth progress as the line is drawn on your screen of their movement.

With Glympse it works by sending an invitation to another person to show them your position and movement. You can also obtain other data such as destination positions etc.

Glympse can also send the information either to another Android phone or you can copy the senders invitation to a PC and watch the movement without the need for a phone (similar to Latitude & Google).

Just do a search on The Market for Glympse and you will find the installation... and yes, it is Free.

Updated... Here is the link.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones