• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Listen

dc2447

Jul 26, 2010
Listen allows me to logon and all that good stuff, my problem is different.

I can search and subscribe to episodes however they never download, they are always in the queue. I can try the refresh option but it doesn't help.

So far in a month I downloaded one podcast.

Anyone seem similar?

Are you on WiFI? By default the subscribed or queued podcasts will only download over WiFI. You can configure to also use 3G or force it to download specific items over 3G. There is also a schedule setting, manual, 8 hours, etc.

Thanks for the response.

The podcasts were being downloaded on wifi. I reboot seemed to rectify the problem and the queue downloaded.

I am now giving up on Listen though, it's unbearably slow UI and the search that fails to find my podcasts was just too much

Upvote 0
^Re: Search not finding your podcasts. The solution is to find them all by googling them on your desktop/laptop and to manually add each podcast's RSS feed to your google reader and use that to drive Google Listen.
nice trick

Dumb question, does listen actually download the enclosures (mp3s)? it seems to be trying to stream them? I'd like them to be downloaded when on wifi for travelling?

Upvote 0
nice trick

Dumb question, does listen actually download the enclosures (mp3s)? it seems to be trying to stream them? I'd like them to be downloaded when on wifi for travelling?

As with nearly any googly apps on the phone you can do it on a pc/browser and it all syncs to the phone OTA without worry. Do the heavy lifting on a real computer first. There are always slicker apps out there but having it all available on one account in a big screen browser is sweet.

The Listen settings have all the configs regarding how much is downloaded and for how long. Something like 20 podcasts are kept local, FIFO. Yes, your subscribed podcasts can be downloaded on wifi and then listened to later. I usually have several hours worth of listening available. Great in the car, train, travelling, etc. I suppose you could crank up the cache limit and download a lot more for those times when you need a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones