• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps - a mind of its own?

I very rarely use Google Maps, but have been finding that when I review the battery usage it has been using between 2 and 5% of the battery.

Further investigation using system panel shows that at 8am every morning, something happens that kicks it into life and does something. But what?

I'm aware of how Android works, and that the application is more than likely sat open somewhere, albeit inactive. But what's it doing at this time?

I don't have lookout, or anything of that nature set to scan at that time, and the phone is inactive at that time (I work nights so am blowing z's at that time).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Yep.....I've just unistalled it too as I've only used it once since I've had my phone (9 months) and that was only to try it out really as I knew perfectly well where I was going. It's free to download at any time so I'll just re-install again if/when I need it.

And yay for extra memory.....*does the happy dance of joy* :D

Upvote 0
I saw Google Maps in the Battery Usage list as well. I don't use it often but it had taken up a few percent of my battery, more than other things which I use more often. Perhaps it is really intense when you use it, so much so that it stays in the list for awhile.. It's one theory :) But I don't know why Google Maps is active when you are asleep. Maybe try to turn off background data before you go to sleep??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones