• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Maps Not Talking

emailsucks

Lurker
Aug 14, 2010
Hello everyone. I have a Desire and have Google Maps installed, but when I want to go somewhere, it doesn't tell me my turns and what street to turn on. I only see the map and that's it. When maps was installed I had a popup that advised that I should download text to speech as well, which I did. I've watched on utube and the videos show turn by turn speech happening on the videos. I live in Canada. Is it not available here?

Brian

When you open Maps hit the search button and type-in your destination address. It'll show you it on the map, press on it and it'll give you a load of options. One of which is Directions. If you hit that (it's a picture of a road-sign - right turn) and select Navigate it'll give you turn-by-turn.

In order to get the voice, though you'll need to install the Text to Voice option from the Market (free).

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I have a Desire and have Google Maps installed, but when I want to go somewhere, it doesn't tell me my turns and what street to turn on. I only see the map and that's it. When maps was installed I had a popup that advised that I should download text to speech as well, which I did. I've watched on utube and the videos show turn by turn speech happening on the videos. I live in Canada. Is it not available here?

Brian

I think you mean Google Navigation and not Google maps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones