• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps offline

I have a Nexus One with the latest version of Google Maps that has offline caching. It's my understanding that it will download maps of frequently visited areas for offline use. However, I'm going to be traveling to London and would find having the maps cached for offline use extremely useful since I am not going to be using data roaming. Is there a way to have Google Maps download the London maps before I leave on my home WiFi network, so they're available for me when I arrive in London? I don't need navigation capabilities, just the maps. Thanks

I have a Nexus One with the latest version of Google Maps that has offline caching. It's my understanding that it will download maps of frequently visited areas for offline use. However, I'm going to be traveling to London and would find having the maps cached for offline use extremely useful since I am not going to be using data roaming. Is there a way to have Google Maps download the London maps before I leave on my home WiFi network, so they're available for me when I arrive in London? I don't need navigation capabilities, just the maps. Thanks

I was in Austria a couple of weeks ago. My Grandma didn't have WiFi, but at my uncle's I was able to use his WiFi and get a nice map of Vienna. I downloaded about 30 megs worth of data. It worked well for me.

I guess just type in the address where you'll be staying and just explore with your fingers. :D

Upvote 0
Yes, for now you have to simply load all areas of maps that you will want to use and make sure nothing clears the cache in between using it. Check your cache size first and then after, and you should see that it goes up as you explore areas.

Make sure you zoom in to the level of detail you will want and then move around.

Edit:

For a backup plan, you can also download one of the offline maps programs and download the maps for the area that you want. I used MapDroyd before the new version of maps came out, and I keep it around as a backup just in case I need it. Not as good as Google Maps, but better than nothing.

Upvote 0

I know it's convenient to have your phone, but have you possibly thought of getting a printout from a computer of Google maps? Or possibly having a laptop? And as the first guy mentioned, you could use Wifi. I know that alot of hotels/motels have free Wifi. But I see how that could be a problem because you wouldn't be able to use your navigation or whatever...if you leave Google Maps (on your phone) set to a certain place, say you set it to Venice, Italy, if you don't turn off your phone and you don't allow it to auto-update your position with GPS, it should stay on that screen as long as you don't travel anywhere else using Google Maps. Or you could make a whole lot of screenshots of Google Maps region! You will need to have your phone rooted for this and a root app from the marketplace.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by Copleo
A one buck tourist map at your arrival airport can show you a bunch of things too.

And has full resolution at all zoom levels! Offline!
True, but when was the last time it showed you where you were or how far before you have to make a turn, or give you voice directions...
Never. Because I'm not stupid, have eyes, and can read maps and street signs.
Those who are and can't need to be taken by the hand like a toddler and told, blow-by-blow, what they are actually seeing (apparently they can't make that out without help), and where they should go...

Upvote 0
I'm confused... if you're using the maps offline, how would they show you where you are? Wouldn't you have to connect via GPS?
Yes.
GPS or the phone network grid (less accurate of course). But in any case you do need a connection!
So offline maps won't show you where you are, they will just show you a map. So you will need to be able to read maps and streetsigns or offline maps will be of no use to you.

Upvote 0
Yes.
GPS or the phone network grid (less accurate of course). But in any case you do need a connection!
So offline maps won't show you where you are, they will just show you a map. So you will need to be able to read maps and streetsigns or offline maps will be of no use to you.

Gotcha... just wanted to know if I was missing something in my new appreciation of Droids. :)

Upvote 0
I'm confused... if you're using the maps offline, how would they show you where you are? Wouldn't you have to connect via GPS?

Once the maps are loaded, you don't need any connection to data. If GPS is on (that's not a connection, you are just receiving GPS signals), Maps will track you as you move. You can try it out yourself. Simply turn on Airplane Mode and start moving, you will see Maps updating your location.

Upvote 0
haha.. i guess the art of matching the street name / landmark to a paper map has been long gone since google maps came to phones. unless you're in the middle of nowhere, i find it relatively easy to pinpont my exact location just by looking at a street sign or by asking the person next to me :p that being said, i still think google maps is far more convenient and useful than a big ol' paper map :D

Reactions: Epicurean
Upvote 0
Once the maps are loaded, you don't need any connection to data. If GPS is on (that's not a connection, you are just receiving GPS signals), Maps will track you as you move. You can try it out yourself. Simply turn on Airplane Mode and start moving, you will see Maps updating your location.

See... I did not know this! Wow... totally learned something today.

So many "things" I need to get a clear definition on (or difference between)...

wifi
3G
data use
GPS

I think I mentally lump them all together. :-(

Upvote 0

Don't believe that's possible. I tried the same while in Austria. Once I lost a data/WiFi connection, my blue GPS dot did not move on Google maps.

Upvote 0
Don't believe that's possible. I tried the same while in Austria. Once I lost a data/WiFi connection, my blue GPS dot did not move on Google maps.

The maps have to be cached. I just tried this today. Got directions for a route, switched to airplane mode (no data connection) and drove 20 miles there and back with full tracking.

You have to have version 5.0 of Google Maps for this to work, btw.

Reactions: blizy and amlothi
Upvote 0
I'm leaving tomorrow, so I need a quick answer.

I made a map of places I want to visit using Google's My Maps feature. I loaded it up yesterday on my phone, but it's not there today. Any suggestions? Did I accidentally delete it or clear the cache? How can I check this? Can I switch between two or three maps, or am I only allowed to cache one at a time? Will switching batteries clear the cache on my trip?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
If you need offline maps like that then get a GPS nav solution that stores maps locally. Google Maps Nav isn't intended for this sort of use and it's an awkward workaround to get it to precache. The intent is for it to be able to deal with short term lack of coverage when you're on the road.

Did you have map data? If you don't have a map it's impossible to tell if the dot's moving or not. In any case, the GPS receiver doesn't require data to determine your location as it is GPS (uses GPS satellites).

Whatever issue you were experiencing was something else entirely.

So many "things" I need to get a clear definition on (or difference between)...

wifi
3G
data use
GPS

I think I mentally lump them all together. :-(
That will cause you problems. Spend some time Googling. None of these are really Android-specific.

The most common misunderstanding that I see is that people don't seem to understand that there's a difference between the GPS receiver (the hardware that determines your location) and the GPS app. They're separate entities. The GPS receiver doesn't need data. The GPS app may, depending on the specific app in question. All the receiver does (basically) is provide latitude and longitude. Anything else comes from the GPS app.

Reactions: genesj and mr mojo
Upvote 0
Agreed, absolutely possible - just did it again now!

Fired up maps without GPS, it showed a map of the last time I used it (nowhere near where I'm now), turned off all data, then turned on GPS. Once it locked on, Maps showed me the map of where I am from maps cached before on my phone, and tracked my movement, and I'm able to zoom in and out just fine.

I tested this the other day when I went skiing. Before I left, I calculated the 225 mile route. Then I switched off all data. The maps worked all the way to the ski area with no hiccups. Zooming worked and all "features" such as rivers, lakes, sideroads, etc. were all there.

Upvote 0
True, but when was the last time it showed you where you were or how far before you have to make a turn, or give you voice directions...

Also walking around with a tourist map, makes one look like, well a tourist. Experience as a frequent traveller tells me that obvious tourists are the people most likely to get scammed and conned. Because it's obvious they're not local and familiar with the area, especially in places like New York, London, Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai.

How to Avoid Looking Like an American Tourist - wikiHow
'Keep the map out of sight. Pulling out and looking at your map in a public space is a no-no. Study it before you leave your hotel, and if you do need to consult your map, step into a store or any other less public place. Have the maps pre-folded so they may be easily accessed and read. Same goes for other items:'

Map on the phone, and that is one less thing a traveller has to worry about .

Reactions: genesj
Upvote 0
I dont know if anyone has Osmand but it uses openstreet maps like mapdroyd but it has turn by turn. I think it is better for my uses.

I had a look at some applications which use OpenStreetmap. However it's really quite useless for this part of the world. Xilinhot City is almost only a dot.
OpenStreetMap, Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia

Even North Korea has more detail than Inner Mongolia on OpenStreetMap.

The whole of China street map is only something like 15MB in size, so not too much detail except for Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. So it has to be Google maps for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones