• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps Precache Map Area

jester68

Oct 28, 2011
Hi

i just updated "maps" and found the option to "pre cache map areas". This could be handy for me as I travel quite extensively in quite rural areas where data connection might not be too stable, basically throughout mid/north Wales. However, as far as I can tell, you can only cache a small area. Ive tried, as an experiment, plotting a navigation route from one place to another and then "caching" this but it doesnt seem to work that way. Which begs the questions whether, for navigation purposes, this option is really any good. Has anyone else used this option for the purpose Ive described and, if so, could you give me an idiots guide on how to use it? Thanks

Hi

i just updated "maps" and found the option to "pre cache map areas". This could be handy for me as I travel quite extensively in quite rural areas where data connection might not be too stable, basically throughout mid/north Wales. However, as far as I can tell, you can only cache a small area. Ive tried, as an experiment, plotting a navigation route from one place to another and then "caching" this but it doesnt seem to work that way. Which begs the questions whether, for navigation purposes, this option is really any good. Has anyone else used this option for the purpose Ive described and, if so, could you give me an idiots guide on how to use it? Thanks

Your can pre cache as many areas as you want! Open maps. Tap and hold on area of your choice (this will be the centre of a pre cache tile) . You will have and address bubble pop up. Click on it. One of the options well be to pre cache map area. Keep repeating for various points (it will show you areas already pre cached).

Reactions: jester68
Upvote 0
I believe it does work as long as you set your route before you lose or turn off your data connection. I've used it on my Galaxy Player (no data).

It is a bit confusing because there are two different types of caching. The OP was referring to caching in Google Maps, which is a labs feature. You can pick different areas to download to your device to use without a data connection.

What you are referring to is Google Navigation caching your route when you initially navigate to a destination.

So if I cache areas in Google Maps, Google Navigation does not use that cache when navigating a route, it uses it's own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones