• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS with offline/no data maps

akvasu

Lurker
Mar 14, 2012
Hi

I am new to Andriod - I got my first Android device 3 months back - a Sony Tablet. Looking to move to a Sony/Samsung Andriod Phone in the coming months... I've been using UIQ and then Symbian phones for a long time now.

My current Nokia phone - the C7 has an excellent Map Application. Supports full offline more, I can download maps for different countries, I can download different voice packs and record my own etc. Drive and Walk navigation is available. (all free too) Say what you will on Symbian - but you can't complain about the Maps.

So this has become the stumbling block to move to an Andriod Phone - I can't find any good Map software, and Google's poor 10 minute pre-cache is not going to get anyone from A to B. Plus no voice navigation.

I wanted to know if we have options for full offline usage? Also for Voice navigation ?

Please let me know - Xperia S just got released in my city and I am really tempted... this is the only stopper. I have a data pack, but offline makes so much more sense. Like if you are travelling internationally, or in area's with no 3G coverage etc.

Thanks
Anup

Hi

I am in India, but I travel to US and the Middle East often.

Yeah I am not going to give away my C7 but having 2 numbers will be a problem. It's time Android catches up in this field though... I am pretty sure with Nokia+Microsoft the Windows Mobile will take the lead soon.

Thanks
Anup

Upvote 0
Depends on which country you are in, but you could try copilot. Also, all Map apps that you can use with no internet are paid apps AFAIK because you have to buy the offline map data from them. If you have no internet, you can't download a free map of the area and you'd just be looking at a blank screen with a red dot. :p

Reactions: GalaxyBrad
Upvote 0
Depends on which country you are in, but you could try copilot. Also, all Map apps that you can use with no internet are paid apps AFAIK because you have to buy the offline map data from them. If you have no internet, you can't download a free map of the area and you'd just be looking at a blank screen with a red dot. :p
Thanks a lot:)I have just downloaded CoPilot and it's amazing.However it needed like 20 minutes to locate me(inside the house test).I'll test it outside soon.Thanks again:)

Upvote 0
I have an extra phone, and was wondering if there is an app I could use to turn that phone into a good gps receiver, like ones you buy in the store. my main phone i use waze, or navigate, but they require a data connection.

what i'd like to do with the spare phone is put it in airplane mode, and just use he gps receiver to get turn by turn navigation.

is there an app like that? it looks like copilot might do the trick, but quite frankly, the reviews of it are about 50/50 between 1 and 5 stars. hardly a glowing endorsement.

any help would be great. i already have the phone, and am trying to avoid having to buy a stand alone gps receiver.

Upvote 0
Have a look at Navigon (now a Garmin Company).

The maps you have download to the phone's SD card/storage once, by WiFi or to the PC and then to the phone by USB cable.

The app doesn't need mobile data if you turn off the app's traffic info option.

And Navigon is the best turn-by-turn navigation with Android IMO :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Hi

I found Sygic (which used to work on Nokia I think) and also Navigon... Both are paid software - ranging from $20 to $50 - these support offline maps, and voice navigation.

Don't know if they will work world wide though.... Anyone has used them?

I went to the store and checked the Xperia S - Looks pretty amazing, but I came back since I feel this feature is important, and I don't want to carry 2 phones.

Thanks
Anup

Upvote 0
Mapdroyd does pretty good.
I'm looking for offline topo maps (google's terrain layer)

Depending on your country you might have a look at 'Maverick' with its topo maps.
But it will take some time for downloading the wanted areas on your SD card for offline using.

If no role money plays you might have a look at 'ViewRanger' with its premium topo maps.

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones