• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Navigation "Searching for GPS..."

Have you tried GPS Status (or similar) and using it to clear your aGPS data?

If your GPS receiver is unable to get a fix then updating or clearing cache for your GPS app will have no impact. Your GPS app does not obtain the GPS fix -- the GPS receiver does.

I just downloaded it and will test when I can get outside. I doubt the GPS will work inside my building. :)

Upvote 0
The Google maps gps is DEAD-ON. It gets close enough that I can see which end of the house it shows me at. (That's working indoors!)

When I try to go to the Google Nav screen is when I get the "Finding GPS Signal" issue. (That's NOT working OUTDOORS!)

This is a recent development. (week or so?) It was happening pre-GB as well as post.

Upvote 0
As soon as I plugged in the phone, the navigation worked immediately. Figure that one out. Coincidentally, when I used navigation in my Droid X for the first time I used the car charger and I never had a problem with waiting and waiting for navigation to show my directions. (Incidentally, for those who haven't used navigation on the
Android system, you're going to be very pleasantly surprised).

Upvote 0
The Google maps gps is DEAD-ON.
The GPS receiver is part of your device, not the Google Maps app. Google Maps uses the same GPS receiver as every other GPS enabled app on your device. Your GPS receiver determines accuracy, not the app.

When I try to go to the Google Nav screen is when I get the "Finding GPS Signal" issue. (That's NOT working OUTDOORS!)

This is a recent development. (week or so?) It was happening pre-GB as well as post.
Sounds like a coincidental relationship. Try clearing your aGPS data with GPS Status.

As soon as I plugged in the phone, the navigation worked immediately. Figure that one out.
Plugged it into what? This also sounds coincidental.

Upvote 0
For the past 4 days and here I am in Spain touring with an HTC GPS that seems to constantly searching for GPS...... Been everywhere trying to make this work, even on top of a Templar castle hign on a mountain and there I was for over an hour waiting for the dam thing to locate a gps. It never did. Never had a problem with my mobile.:mad:

Upvote 0
For the past 4 days and here I am in Spain touring with an HTC GPS that seems to constantly searching for GPS...... Been everywhere trying to make this work, even on top of a Templar castle hign on a mountain and there I was for over an hour waiting for the dam thing to locate a gps. It never did. Never had a problem with my mobile.:mad:
Again, have you used a tool like GPS Status to clear your aGPS state/data? If it doesn't help you to get a fix then how many satellites are you picking up and what are the signal levels like?

Upvote 0
When trying to use the Google Navigation app it just displays "searching for gps..." at the bottom of the screen and never locks in on my location.
My phone did this twice in two days, too. Both times I fixed it by turning on the internet access, which made it "find" the GPS almost immediately after doing so. Then I turned off the internet access right away, and the navigation worked fine for my trip that took an hour.

Seems strange to me that enabling internet "fixes" it, but there's no other explanation for it. (And no, "coincidence" is not a scientific explanation for anything, and you can quote me on that). :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones