• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Now pimpin' businesses now?

gtbarry

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2012
California
I don't drive along and look at google now often. But today I was riding shotgun while a friend was driving and I got this:

Now, I am not naive enough to believe that google and google now don't push/highlight paid messages as part of their services. But this just seems pretty blatant.

(FYI, I have never searched Big Lots to my knowledge. And I can recall the last time I walked into one was well over a year ago.)

What hacks me off about your post is the temperature there. 40 deg. F warmer than over here .... aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Dave

You're in the UK, you will never have these temperatures.

Did you know on a clear day you can see from London all the way to Paris? (Feel free to tell people that. They will never be able to prove you wrong.)

Upvote 0
It could be related to a recent Google search he did... it kind of blurs the line a little as far as ads go, but it is supposed to be content based on a search that was done.

Can't recall a single search related to "Big lots" or "bulk purchases" etc. I have done in the last month. I shop at Amazon and costco 90% of the time, and I don't search for/on costco.com - I just drive there.

I guess what you are pointing out makes me think I wouldn't mind if a card was directly or tangentially related to something I searched. This one just seems like it came up cause they were an advertiser and had no relevance to me.

(Overall, I don't care. I can swipe the card away easily. Just seems like a very non-contextual ad for google to give me.)

Upvote 0
So the op's objection is that the ad is not contextual enough?

That's simply hilarious. Most of the time I hear people complaining about the opposite - they don't like when google examines their searches, email, location, circles etc (depending on privacy settings) to develop targeted ads. Now we have someone complaining that Google isn't doing a good enough job of snooping their personal preferences to determine what ads they should see. (sorry if I'm misunderstanding but that's what I understood your complaint to be).

Guess the big G will always be p*ssing somebody off/

Reactions: gtbarry
Upvote 0
So the op's objection is that the ad is not contextual enough?

That's simply hilarious. Most of the time I hear people complaining about the opposite - they don't like when google examines their searches, email, location, circles etc (depending on privacy settings) to develop targeted ads. Now we have someone complaining that Google isn't doing a good enough job of snooping their personal preferences to determine what ads they should see. (sorry if I'm misunderstanding but that's what I understood your complaint to be).

Guess the big G will always be p*ssing somebody off/

My overall all point is that ads will be served to me regardless. Therefore, please make them relevant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones