• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google & phone contacts appear twice in a text message

origdav

May 20, 2010
Hi,

I wanted to sync my phone contacts with my Gmail account and found this thread.
menu > import/export > select export to sd card

then do the same thing but import from sd card. at that point it should allow you to choose what you want to import them as, so pick google contacts.

This has worked perfectly and within the People app -> Menu -> View, I can see the same number next to Google as I can Phone. At present only Google is ticked.

My problem is when I enter a name within a new text message the contact appears twice, once from the Phone entry and once from the Google entry even though only Google is ticked within the People app.

Does anyone know how to change it so only the Google contacts show up when you enter their names in a new text message?

Thanks

Perfect. Followed your advice here and it's done the trick. I've even cleaned up some of the meta data by exporting to a CSV from Google then reimporting it back.

Just turn off contact sync for your gmail account in settings>accounts and Sync.

Then delete all your contacts. As sync is turned off, the delete won't reach the gmail server (although back them up just incase).

Then when they are all deleted, turn sync back on and allow android to download your contacts from gmail

One final thing - anyone know how to change the format from xxx-xxx-xxxxx to no hyphens?

Upvote 0
Perfect. Followed your advice here and it's done the trick. I've even cleaned up some of the meta data by exporting to a CSV from Google then reimporting it back.

One final thing - anyone know how to change the format from xxx-xxx-xxxxx to no hyphens?

If you edit it in gmail, to remove hyphens, does it then sync to your phone to be normal?

If so, could you export all your gmail contacts on your pc, edit them then upload them back to gmail?

Upvote 0
If you edit it in gmail, to remove hyphens, does it then sync to your phone to be normal?

If so, could you export all your gmail contacts on your pc, edit them then upload them back to gmail?

I quickly tried that the other day but had problems with the csv file recognising the leading zero and not removing it. I'll have another look today. Thanks

Upvote 0
I quickly tried that the other day but had problems with the csv file recognising the leading zero and not removing it. I'll have another look today. Thanks

Highlight all the cells then Format>Cells> [Number] tab - Set to "text"

You will have to go back and add all the leading 0's but it will keep them there. Or just put +44 on the front of them all (assuming you're in the UK)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones