• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play: Insufficient Storage available

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
Jun 17, 2011
Owensboro, KY
ok from time to time my phone displays the 'low on space' notification, rarer on the custom ROM i'm running (changed the trigger to 10MB vs the usual 20MB) but it still happens sometimes, if a lot of apps are running in the background (cache?) but now it seems to kill installs too. now i'm no math expert by any means but an app claiming that insufficient storage is available (to the point install fails) when the app is only 121 KB with over 10MB left in the storage sounds off.

121KB < 10MB

either Android's math is way way off or something's wrong. is the low on space notification supposed to block installs too? even side-loading fails. i know it kills sync and texting (which is stupid enough)

i had to delete a theme and clear caches to make the little 121 KB app install. i then reinstalled the other theme which again triggered the notification during install, but it succeeded. that too seems odd. since with the theme installed prior it wouldn't even install a 121 KB app?

Actually I've seen this when an install would trigger the low storage warning (not always though, so not worked out the precise algorithm). My warning comes on at 37MB, and I've seen it when the app would take me just below that.

So I have the impression that the algorithm isn't quite right, or that it's a matter of when exactly during the process the warning is triggered. I usually find that a cache clean fixes it.

Upvote 0
i have a ZTE Merit, it only gives less than maybe 100MB for internal storage. i don't like using the SD card as it's reserved for music and i use more than one ROM (two for games, one for normal daily use) and mixing apps on the SD card can cause issues should i change it one day or switch ROMs and back, and apps crash because the data had changed or something. as for number of apps many are less than 5MB each. but i got like 10 on there, with Go Launcher + widgets. the low space bug is not as bad as it was on the stock, but it comes and goes. seems to happen most when over 5 apps are doing stuff in the background. i do wish it wouldn't kill sync. 10MB or so is more than enough to get a text message

Hadron, in Android from what i read, the low space notification comes on when your device is at or below 20% of its rated storage. if you got a large storage-capable device, that can be even as much as 200MB remaining. so the trigger is based on 20% of your maximum storage. not a fixed space remaining issue

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones