1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Google Play Music always running in the background?

1. jackroo

jackroo Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Lately when I go into active applications I notice that Google Play Music is running even though I never open it (and I have never used it to begin with). I know there have been a lot of updates with the Google stuff on here including Music but I just update it for the sake of stating current and then move on without ever opening the apps. Why is Google Play Music always running in the background?

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

3. jackroo

Thank you, mate. But I'm not rooted. So I have to force stop it each time I start up my phone? :(
  4. funkylogik

If you dont ever use it, can you find it in Application Manager, tap Uninstall Updates, then tap Disable? :thumbup:
    ninja636rider and jackroo like this.
  5. jackroo

Let me try
  6. jackroo

That did the trick, mate! Thank you as always! You help a lot of folks on here and I want to say it is much appreciated! :)
    funkylogik likes this.
  7. funkylogik

Aw shucks lol. Thanx mate :beer:
  8. RichardSeq

RichardSeq Well-Known Member

Sorry wrong post! Please disregard.
  9. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just got a new phone (S4) and discovered I had the same issue. I happen to like Google Play Music, but not the fact that it is always running. Simply uninstalling updates fixed it for me.
  10. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Can't say it running in the background bothers me, each to their own though.
  11. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

It running in the background works great for me. When I get in my car and I had been playing google music previously, my phone connects bluetooth and my google music starts playing immediately. Great feature.
  12. MasterCylinder

MasterCylinder Well-Known Member

Great if you use it, not great if you don't. I froze it.

I use MOG. And, I just figured out how to move my 6.3gb of music to my external SD card: Folder Mount! (Other apps or symlink didn't work.)
  13. SN020

SN020 New Member

Hello all, I have been having issues with my battery draining stupidly quickly and have also noticed that google play music is always open in background although I never use it. I went into application manager but cannot see where to uninstall the updates?

Also not sure if that is why my battery is draining so quickly (within 10 hours even when not in use overnight). When I view battery use the biggest culprit always says Android OS. Please help. It would be nice if my battery lasted longer so I only have to charge it once a day.

Look forward to some help please :)