• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Play Music always running in the background?

jackroo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 5, 2012
Hey guys,

Lately when I go into active applications I notice that Google Play Music is running even though I never open it (and I have never used it to begin with). I know there have been a lot of updates with the Google stuff on here including Music but I just update it for the sake of stating current and then move on without ever opening the apps. Why is Google Play Music always running in the background?

If you dont ever use it, can you find it in Application Manager, tap Uninstall Updates, then tap Disable? :thumbup:
I know this is an old thread, but I just got a new phone (S4) and discovered I had the same issue. I happen to like Google Play Music, but not the fact that it is always running. Simply uninstalling updates fixed it for me.

Upvote 0
If you dont ever use it, can you find it in Application Manager, tap Uninstall Updates, then tap Disable? :thumbup:
Hello all, I have been having issues with my battery draining stupidly quickly and have also noticed that google play music is always open in background although I never use it. I went into application manager but cannot see where to uninstall the updates?

Also not sure if that is why my battery is draining so quickly (within 10 hours even when not in use overnight). When I view battery use the biggest culprit always says Android OS. Please help. It would be nice if my battery lasted longer so I only have to charge it once a day.

Look forward to some help please :)

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Lately when I go into active applications I notice that Google Play Music is running even though I never open it (and I have never used it to begin with). I know there have been a lot of updates with the Google stuff on here including Music but I just update it for the sake of stating current and then move on without ever opening the apps. Why is Google Play Music always running in the background?

I think the only way to keep using the app when you want it but not have it running in the background is to go to your radio station or playlist and clear the queue. It worked for me on my Nexus 5x.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones