Google Play requires password for every purchase???Support

1. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just recently I can't make a purchase without having to enter my Google password on Google Play.

Is this new policy and can I switch it off somehow? I've looked in all the setting both on the web and in the app and cannot find anything. I realize that for many the extra security is good, but my password is a complicated mix of letters and numbers and I can't be doing with having to input it all of the time.

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Is there a chance your Play account is not synced?
    If you go into settings, accounts, your primary account and ensure it's synced with the Play Store.
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hmm, I know you can set a pin for purchases, and that is required to be typed in every time, but the full Google password, not sure how that happened...
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

It happened to me once recently, but that's the one and only time it's done it. I use a PIN for purchases so I'm guessing after the initial entry, the PIN option has overridden it?
  5. MartinS

Thanks, everything is set to sync. I can't see a problem any where.

I don't think anything has changed other than I also started using my GNex again while my N4 went in for repair.

Could it have something to do with the number of devices?
  6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I think, this isn't a N7 problem, it's might be a Google Play Store server problem.

I've have this issue on two phones and one tablet (HTC Sensation, One X and Sony Experia tablet) after some in-app purchases.

Some of this in-app purchased had difficulties with the Google server, that vanished after a few days.
    So, I can only think that these might be the reason.

Harry
  7. MartinS

I think it's the Google Play Store for sure.

Either it is changed terms or it is because I have a number of active devices - currently 4.

I've emailed Google support so let's see...
  8. keith1210mk2

keith1210mk2 Active Member

I noticed this as well, thought it was just a change that Google introduced??
  9. LS1BadBird

LS1BadBird Well-Known Member

I have the same problem on my S3, but not my N7.
  10. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

+1

Same here,but,only w/purchased apps,not the free ones.
    This does not bother me in the least, & I would think that this is a welcome feature/flaw (depending on ones opinion/perspective), especially those that hand off their phones as pacifiers to their younger children,etc.....
  11. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Maybe the thread should be moved to Android Lounge or Applications, it isn't a N7 issue :)

Harry
  12. MartinS

Google replied with this which is the same as the above basically:

Thanks for contacting us. I understand you have a question about the password prompt when purchasing from Google Play.
    To help prevent unauthorized purchases, Google Play may prompt you to enter your Google account password prior to making a purchase. Your Google Account password is the same password you use to login to Gmail or Google Play on the web. Unfortunately, this isn't a setting you can turn off at this time.

If you don’t remember your Google Account password, click Forgot Password? on the password prompt, and you will be redirected to the account recovery process.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.
    Harry2 likes this.
  13. MartinS

Maybe I'm buying too many apps and they think my account needs protection..!
  14. balloonshark

balloonshark Well-Known Member

You could always use a password app to save and use your passwords. The only problem is it would need a master password you would have to enter to use password app. If physical security of your device isn't a problem you could use a short/simple password for the app.

I'm trying keepass as it is what I use on my computer so it was easy to transfer my password database to my Nexus 7. It's much clunkier to use on the Nexus 7 because you have to copy and paste the username and passwords individually to login forms.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbmRyb2lkLmtlZXBhc3MiXQ..

There are many password managers in the play store. Just do a search for password or click here.
  15. En4cer2k11

En4cer2k11 Well-Known Member

I don't see what the problem is. When you log into anything involving your finances, like your online bank account for instance, you have to put in your password every time. Should it not make you feel a little more secure to know that NO purchases can be made on your device (even in the event it should fall into the wrong hands) without that password being entered? Especially since you only have a 15 minute refund window, after which ALL SALES ARE FINAL.