• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Services are out of control

En4cer2k11

Dec 10, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I've have my Note 3 since January of last year, and for much of that year I've enjoyed an average of 6.5 - 7 hours of battery life out of my phone. Within the last few months I've noticed its stamina reduced to about 4 - 5 hours. I figured that this was just a sign of the battery deteriorating over time. But in the last few weeks I've found out that the REAL reason why my phone doesn't last as long is because "Kernal Android OS" is often the biggest drainer according to GSam Battery Monitor, and that "Google Play Services is responsible for waking my device over and over again all day long, killing my battery life. Yesterday it woke my device over 2000 times and today it jumped up to over 3500 times. Is there any way to stop whatever "services" Google Play is using to keep my phone awake?
Screenshot_2015-03-15-23-56-55.png

I've have my Note 3 since January of last year, and for much of that year I've enjoyed an average of 6.5 - 7 hours of battery life out of my phone. Within the last few months I've noticed its stamina reduced to about 4 - 5 hours. I figured that this was just a sign of the battery deteriorating over time. But in the last few weeks I've found out that the REAL reason why my phone doesn't last as long is because "Kernal Android OS" is often the biggest drainer according to GSam Battery Monitor, and that "Google Play Services is responsible for waking my device over and over again all day long, killing my battery life. Yesterday it woke my device over 2000 times and today it jumped up to over 3500 times. Is there any way to stop whatever "services" Google Play is using to keep my phone awake?
View attachment 84041
Get a program from the play store called "Greenify". It keeps programs that turn themselves on tuned off and you don't need root for it to work. When you install it go to its options and check "Automated hibernation". That should help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones