• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google play store shortcut icon deleted. How can I retrieve it?

galaxynotace

Mar 7, 2012
My mother has a fairly useless samsung j7. I dont know the exact model but its got 8gb storage so its always running out of storage.

She asked me "can I delete this google play store I dont use it"... I told her you cant delete it, and three times re-iterated dont even bother deleting the shortcut icon in the apps menu as it wont save any storage space and you need google play store for apps. She then went ahead and deleted the playstore icon from the apps menu :mad:. So now the phone storage is still full and theres no way to access play store.

How can I recover the playstore icon? I have downloaded a play store apk from a third party website but it wont install (I've allowed permissions to install downloaded apps but still wont install). Im assuming its not installing as either its already still on the device. My question is how can I open play store now theres no shortcut icon?

Out of curiosity how did she delete it directly from the app draw? I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Or do you mean she deleted it from settings, apps? Or did she just delete the shortcut from the homepage? If it's just from the homepage then you just need to drag and drop from the apps screen.

Upvote 0
I dont know what the app drawer is?

From the homescreen she's pressed the "Apps" button which has taken her to the usual grid that all mobile phones have that show all the apps installed on the phone. She's then grabbed the playstore icon from this grid and moved it to recycle bin.

So I cant drag and drop the app back as she's removed it from this grid

Upvote 0
so just to answer the questions;

Out of curiosity how did she delete it directly from the app draw? I'm pretty sure that's not possible. Or do you mean she deleted it from settings, apps? Or did she just delete the shortcut from the homepage? If it's just from the homepage then you just need to drag and drop from the apps screen.

1) Or do you mean she deleted it from settings, apps?
No. She has not been in to settings.

Upvote 0
so just to answer the questions;

1) Or do you mean she deleted it from settings, apps?
No. She has not been in to settings.

By that I meant had she opened up the app draw and gone to settings and then apps and deleted it from there. But from your reply I guess she hasn't. So I'm still confused how she's managed to delete it off the phone without even going into settings. I've still got to stick by that it'll still be in the app draw and you just need to long press it and put it back on your homepage.

Upvote 0
whilst Im here, how can I clear data saved on the facebook app. Her phone has absolutely no storage space free and she's only got about 20 photos, no music, no videos. I remember when I had storage issues with a galaxy phone I was able to go to apps>facebook>clear data and clear cache. But that option isnt available now. And facebook is locked on to this phone so I cant delete it either. Any ideas how I can reset facebook as its probably taking up a load of storage space.

Upvote 0
whilst Im here, how can I clear data saved on the facebook app. Her phone has absolutely no storage space free and she's only got about 20 photos, no music, no videos. I remember when I had storage issues with a galaxy phone I was able to go to apps>facebook>clear data and clear cache. But that option isnt available now. And facebook is locked on to this phone so I cant delete it either. Any ideas how I can reset facebook as its probably taking up a load of storage space.

It should still be there. Settings, apps, three dots, system apps, Facebook, storage ;)

Reactions: galaxynotace
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones