• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Search fix! Non-root

This is all I did. I loaded Launcher Pro Plus. Put google search widget on home screen.
Downloaded Dolphin HD and made it my default browser. Searched using the google search widget by typing in search term. Immediately it went to Google search. Thereafter, now when I tap the search key (one of the 4 soft buttons at bottom of phone) the search box comes up and when I type in the search term and tap search, it goes immediately to google. (Google maps and Nav. also installed but not running at the time of the search. ) No bing in sight for results or anything.
It is not rerouting through bing at all. Is this not the desired outcome? Am I missing something?
This is a lot less complicated than sideloading the file and all. Why does this not work for everyone. Do I have different version of software or an update? My firmware version is 2.1-update1.

Upvote 0
Right, I did all that minus making Dolphin my default browser.

The issue is that I want to use the Google default browser but that keeps redirecting through Bing when you do a search from within the URL bar. That's the fix we're looking for, if it involves swapping out the Bing custom browser for another Galaxy S stock one.

Upvote 0
This is all I did. I loaded Launcher Pro Plus. Put google search widget on home screen.
Downloaded Dolphin HD and made it my default browser. Searched using the google search widget by typing in search term. Immediately it went to Google search. Thereafter, now when I tap the search key (one of the 4 soft buttons at bottom of phone) the search box comes up and when I type in the search term and tap search, it goes immediately to google. (Google maps and Nav. also installed but not running at the time of the search. ) No bing in sight for results or anything.
It is not rerouting through bing at all. Is this not the desired outcome? Am I missing something?
This is a lot less complicated than sideloading the file and all. Why does this not work for everyone. Do I have different version of software or an update? My firmware version is 2.1-update1.

If you hold the search button on the bottom of the phone, does it bring up Google Voice Search or Bing Voice Search. I think you can technically get rid of Bing, expect for the Bing Voice Search on bottom right search button without the root.

Upvote 0
Anyone know how to use the weather/clock widget that comes with the phone after you install a launcher program? I really like that widget and I really like using Google, I just need to figure out how to get both.

You could root your phone, that's what I did...I still use TW and have Google now instead of Bing.

You can try searching the market for Clock/Weather apps. I use Beautiful Widgets, but it won't give you the circle clock. Mine looks similar to HTC's weather widget.

Upvote 0
You could root your phone, that's what I did...I still use TW and have Google now instead of Bing.

You can try searching the market for Clock/Weather apps. I use Beautiful Widgets, but it won't give you the circle clock. Mine looks similar to HTC's weather widget.

I would like the circle clock if it didn't have that stupid advert for WeatherBug. WeatherBug can take their adware and go to hell in my book. Most annoying weather provider I've ever used, and historically a pita to uninstall from PCs.

Is removal of that circle widget on the safe list for this phone yet?? :)

Upvote 0

If you switch back to TW, does your search soft key still route through google?

Upvote 0
Ok. Got rid of Bing. It does Google search now, even in voice searching. I also went in and renamed the browser.apk to browser.bak and installed dolphin browser HD. It runs great, too, but when I do the long hold on the search touch button, it correctly pulls up voice search, but then it goes to the simpleton browser instead of Dolphin. why does it still do this, even after setting dolphin as the default and renaming the stock browser apk file??

Upvote 0
If you switch back to TW, does your search soft key still route through google?
No, it goes to Bing. Haven't been able to get a google search widget for TW Launcher. Market description only has one for Froyo. (2.2).
Bing doesn't exactly suck but it's close.
In TW launcher though, put a shorcut to Dolphin Browser and make it default browser in settings. When you launch Dolphin the first thing that comes up is Google search box. Not quite a 1-click but it will do the job except for searching contacts for phone. For that you need the launcher pro google search if you want to use google search for that. I like its interface for finding contacts and launching phone much better than Bing, although bing will still do that. Just not quite as slick.

Upvote 0
I'm considering purchase of the Fascinate over the Captivate, and just read through this thread. I'm a bit confused, Can we completely get rid of Bing or not? I do expect I will root, if that makes any difference.

Oh, yes indeedy pumpkin seedy.

I have done this on two fascinates now: mine, and my sister's. And by the way, I bricked my sister's phone. So just in case you happen to brick yours, which is unlikely, I might be able to help you step by step "resurrect" it thanks to unfortunate personal experience, and en ENTIRE DAY of frantically bumbling around on my sister's phone.

Both her phone and my phone now are rooted, and completely de-bing'd. No lockups, lag, or anything. The phones are as "google'd" as we can presently get them. I'm glad you're willing to go the root route. It really is easy, and it works well.

And when you're done, Google will be the default touch button search and voice search.

Upvote 0
I get an Error message when attempting to install the EnhancedGoogleSearch.apk file from my SD card. It says, "Unable to parse." Can someone help?

I followed all of the instructions and even paid for LauncherPro Plus. I get Google Voice through Vlingo, and Google maps for Nav, but I'd still like to fix the soft key, as it still routes through Bing.

Please help!

Upvote 0
I am rooted, done the renaming of the bing search apk, installed the google apk, paced the google search widget on my launcher pro screen, but still have been unsuccessful in removing the bing voice search link to the capacitive long press search key. I even set dolphin HD as my default browser. Every other search function brings up google except the long press cap key. Suggestions?

Upvote 0
I get an Error message when attempting to install the EnhancedGoogleSearch.apk file from my SD card. It says, "Unable to parse." Can someone help?

I followed all of the instructions and even paid for LauncherPro Plus. I get Google Voice through Vlingo, and Google maps for Nav, but I'd still like to fix the soft key, as it still routes through Bing.

Please help!

I would suspect a corrupt download. Download a fresh APK file and install it again off your SD card.

Upvote 0
I am rooted, done the renaming of the bing search apk, installed the google apk, paced the google search widget on my launcher pro screen, but still have been unsuccessful in removing the bing voice search link to the capacitive long press search key. I even set dolphin HD as my default browser. Every other search function brings up google except the long press cap key. Suggestions?

Did you install the EnhancedGoogleSearch.apk file mentioned above? You probably already did, I'm just double checking.

Upvote 0
Just so I understand correctly,........I download the apk file to my sd card.......open and install it with Astro File Manager..............download and install launcher pro.........using launcher pro put the google search widget on my home screen.

My question is this.............if I do not want to use launcher pro after the widget is placed on my home screen, will it still work using touchwiz?, or do I have to use launcher pro?

Just trying to understand completely. This is for a friend who isn't techno savvy and hates bing. Trying to help him out. I like the fascinate too, and am due to upgrade 12-27-10. Definitely a contender in my book!

John.

Upvote 0
Just so I understand correctly,........I download the apk file to my sd card.......open and install it with Astro File Manager..............download and install launcher pro.........using launcher pro put the google search widget on my home screen.

My question is this.............if I do not want to use launcher pro after the widget is placed on my home screen, will it still work using touchwiz?, or do I have to use launcher pro?

Just trying to understand completely. This is for a friend who isn't techno savvy and hates bing. Trying to help him out. I like the fascinate too, and am due to upgrade 12-27-10. Definitely a contender in my book!

John.
TW=No, LP=Yes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones