• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google search gets a B, Siri gets a D

So basically, even if Google voice search is slightly less accurate than Siri at correctly hearing the question, it will still win in the final result. And considering with Jelly Bean, I have yet to have an incorrect transcription, (Only about 20 searches, but still), it will probably maintain a 10-15% better success rate than Siri... Android is winning, and big. :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
One thing to note, the Siri version in the video is the iOS 6 Beta, which means its the supposedly "improved" Siri. All I have to say about that is... Apple is in trouble.

thats pretty cool. BGR is pretty emphatic how apple is gonna kick googles butt with the next release of siri/iOS. About the time that comes out, majel will be out. Good geek stuff!

Upvote 0
Yeah, like when Zooey Deschanel can't be bothered to turn around and look out the window....and she asks Siri what the weather is like.....Siri knows its raining. And Zooey didn't even have to strain her neck to look out the window.

Hey, she could have strained her neck, and then would have to wear a neck brace. Nobody wants that!

Upvote 0
I love hearing how good it is on JB! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Just wait untl Majel gets integrated. Rumor is that it was scoring low 90 percentile on the Turing test late last year. From what I've been reading, it will be out by the end of the year

Google's project Majel gets more interesting by the day | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

Majel | Brian Eisley

Google

Hmm, I was under the impression that the new Voice Search was the first implementation of Majel. Obviously not the finished product, but I figured that the natural speech algorithm was all Majel.

From Wikipedia's 'Google Assistant' entry: "The software is an evolution of Google's Voice Actions that is currently available on most Android phones while adding natural language processing. Where Voice Actions required the users to issue specific commands like "send text to…" or "navigate to…", "Assistant" will allow the users to perform actions in their natural language similar to how Siri functions.[7] According to search engineer Mike Cohen, the "Assistant" project has three parts: "getting the world's knowledge into a format a computer can understand, creating a personalization layer; building a mobile, voice-centered "Do engine" ('Assistant') that's less about returning search results and more about accomplishing real-life goals"."

Sounds a lot like the new Voice Actions and Google Now to me.

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones