• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice questions

Bug Splat

Android Enthusiast
May 28, 2010
Hey guys first time posting. My company just let me upgrade my phone so I ordered a new Inc :D. I'm coming from an Omnia running WinMo with SPB 3.5. This was my first smart phone so my experience is limited. While I liked this phone with SPB it was rather slow and whos going to turn down a new top of the line phone like the Incredible. I'm in the same back-order boat as many here so i have a couple weeks with my old phone.

I have been using GV for a little over a year now and LOVE IT. It has worked out so well I was able to drop my personal phone (Dare) and just use my work phone and run iDialer for all my personal calls. The way I was using iDialer was through the "Calling Card" method. This means the software would dial my GV number press 2 to place a call then dial the person I selected in the contact list. For free air calls I just added my GV number to one of my 10 Fav numbers with Verizon and Bingo free personal calls to all my friends and family and my company does not get hit with extra charge if I happen to go over my minutes.

Now, from my understanding the GV app for Android does not work this way. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have read the Android uses the data link to contact google and google calls me and links my call to my friends number. In iDialer they call that "Call Back" method but from what I understand it uses a different number to call you depending on were you are located.

So is there a way to use the "Calling Card" method with the Android app so that all calls are routed through my GV number so I can continue to have that number in my Verizon Fav and not get charged for air minutes? I could just enter each friend with my GV number+p+their number (831-555-5555p831-555-1234) but that is kinda stupid and my web initiated calls would not work.

Awesome! Thanks. Any idea how often it changes?

Not really sure how often it changes. I have not had it change on me yet, and it may not follow a regular pattern. I am only 3 days in though. I have GV prompt me when I make a call so I can choose between GV and VZW. That also acts as a reminder to keep an eye on the GV access number.

Keep in mind that incoming calls will not be free unless you set you GV # in f&f as well and filter incoming calls to show up as GV... which will functionally disable caller I'D because all incoming calls will show up as your GV #.

I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Not really sure how often it changes. I have not had it change on me yet, and it may not follow a regular pattern. I am only 3 days in though. I have GV prompt me when I make a call so I can choose between GV and VZW. That also acts as a reminder to keep an eye on the GV access number.

Keep in mind that incoming calls will not be free unless you set you GV # in f&f as well and filter incoming calls to show up as GV... which will functionally disable caller I'D because all incoming calls will show up as your GV #.

I hope that makes sense.

How did you get your phone to prompt you to chose between gv and vzw calls??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones