• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice VOIP Calls?

spierce7

Lurker
May 19, 2010
Hey, my friend is about to get a new cell phone plan and he's short on money. I was thinking, can't he just set up a Google Voice number, and use his data plan to get unlimited texts, and what not through Google voice?

I did some searching on this, and I feel like this was a very recent development, but can you now make VOIP calls through Google Voice? Or maybe can you possibly do something with your google voice number and friends and family for unlimited minutes or something? He wouldn't need that many minutes.

Any information or point in the right direction would be great! Thanks!

~Scott

Hey, my friend is about to get a new cell phone plan and he's short on money. I was thinking, can't he just set up a Google Voice number, and use his data plan to get unlimited texts, and what not through Google voice?

I did some searching on this, and I feel like this was a very recent development, but can you now make VOIP calls through Google Voice? Or maybe can you possibly do something with your google voice number and friends and family for unlimited minutes or something? He wouldn't need that many minutes.

Any information or point in the right direction would be great! Thanks!

~Scott

I'm not sure but I think Google Voice changed the way it dials now and you can't use it on friends and family..I think....someone else might be able to confirm this BUT I use my Google Voice number with GV callback and Gizmo5 for free calls and it works great. I know Gizmo5 isn't taking anymore new signups but I purchased mine on ebay for $7 and it was the best money I have spent.

Upvote 0
I did some searching on this, and I feel like this was a very recent development, but can you now make VOIP calls through Google Voice?
Nope.

Or maybe can you possibly do something with your google voice number and friends and family for unlimited minutes or something?
If you also use an app like gvmynumber to route all outbound calls via your GV number (and have your GV number in F&F).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones