• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root got a few questions

supadroid

Lurker
Aug 6, 2011
ok so first i wanna say thank you for the rooting guides they helped me a ton, very imformative and the step to step process is awsome! worked like a charm!

so about my phone i got it and it had gb .369(the ota update through verizon) so i read in order to root it i had to flash it back to the froyo version 2.3.340, so i sbf'd it rooted through z4 and got the droid 2 bootstrap, pretty sure i even clicked user data/factory reset no problems at all. now i really like the roms so my questions are....

which rom would u guys recommend? i was looking at the cm7 threads, but idunno if they are recent, its holding me back from downloading because it says cam/camcorder doesnt really work and youtube is a hit and miss, are they still like that or did they fix those?

just asking cause i just downloaded the 2 part GB rooted version(didnt install it though still have froyo on phone) and i think i read cm7 requires froyo, so just asking before i switch to gb.

also whatever u guys recommend could u post a link to it soo many threads in this forum.

and lastley i been hearing u have to create a backup(nandroid?) when exactly are you supposed do that, should i have done it before i sbf'd my phone to 2.3.340 or do i do it now that i have froyo and rooted? i watched several youtube videos but seems like they only do it after they rooted and before they flash a rom?

and once again, thank you all, you guys are great!

Apex is very nice and quick. Especially with Bos BWC theme. Now woulf be a good time to do a backup. You cannot do this without Root. Also intall the Deodexex file from the Official Rom Theme sticky thread within the All things root thread. All the info you need will be found there. Good luck
P. S Follow all directions for each Rom and theme to the Letter and youll be fine

Upvote 0
Try CM7, just make sure you SBF back to .340 (FroYo) and root it the same way you did before. Install D2 bootstrap and flash the latest nightly, followed by the newest gapps and the all in one fix (all posted in the CM7 thread for download). Everything pretty much works now and the ROM is really fast. You won't have swype, so if you want that, you can sign up fr the beta program (also free) and install it that way.
Have fun! The hardest part is over since you've already SBF'd once...

Upvote 0
supadroid, welcome to Android Forums! Glad you found the root guide useful!! You can make a backup at anytime using the D2 bootstrap or Rom Manager. Just boot into recovery and scroll to backup and restore and then backup. Those are saved in sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/*yourbackup. In rom manger it's a little more streamlined. Open it up and scroll to backup current rom. Then give it a name with no spaces and hit ok. I would go ahead and make one of stock .340 if you're still on it. And then flash the ROM of your choice. Be sure to wipe data and cache before flashing and dalvik cache as well. Battery stats wouldn't hurt after fully cycling your phone. Give it a few days for it all to soak in unless you don't like the UI of course. Make a backup if you like it and want to also try others so you can easily go back to it. Another good time to make a backup would be of the ROM that you like as soon as its flashed so basically the stock custom rom. This would be incase something happens that makes your phone wonky like an update/nightly or something of the like.

I personally have found my go to ROM which is MIUI. It has everything I could ask of and has so many cool features. To name a few: from the lock screen turn on the flashlight by holding the home button; menu + vol. down takes a screencap; theme mashups; tons of additional settings. Too many good things about MIUI to name haha.

Upvote 0
Everyone has their own preference regarding ROMs. One of the fun things about our phone is screwing around with it. Once you learn the ropes of loading ROMs and SBFing there is no reason you cant sample as many as you like. The only down side is you have to get your phone set back up like you like it and from shear repetition that really isnt a big deal any longer.

A sure winner in the GB flavor is Apex 2.0. That ROM just plain works and I dont think many will argue that. CM7 is the tits but its still in beta. There is far more support for CM7 than any of the other current ROMs right now and once it makes it to a final official release its going to be extra good. The only drawbacks currently are reduced video resolution and its somewhat a battery hog.

MIUI is pretty neat. Once loaded it looks a lot like an iphone but you arent locked into that at all. As already said, it has a boatload of setting options and I really liked tinkering around with them when I was running it.

OMFGB is where I am currently. It is pretty good, not as many settings to tinker with but enough to be interesting and make your phone yours/unique. There is a more pure GB rom out OMGB but I havent tried that yet.

If you really wanted to explore ROMs there are a number of froyo ROMs but in my opinion that is stepping backwards. There were some good ones but I think the GB versions now are better.

Just get your feet wet and make your own choice.

Upvote 0
hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!

i think i decided to go with the apex 2.0 rc2 GB,
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...theme-black-white-chrome-apex-2-0-rc2-gb.html
just a few quick questions before i start doing stuff.

1.) so right now im running .340 froyo, im going to make a back up of this. but then when i put the 2 part GB file in and if everything works properly, should i make another backup of that, before i put on rom?

2.)2nd post by bowslayer, said download deodexe file, i need this for every rom?( think i read about this i guess it takes away stock themes or something so phone doesnt mess up?)

3.)now in the link it says i have to uninstall the market update and then freeze it so it doesnt update, well i dont have that titanium backup pro so i wont be able to freeze, would it mess up my phone? how would u go about renaming? is there a guide?

and sorry 1 more in the link above i see the actual rom DL and then there r links for fix white text fix account closing and add swype, so would i have to wipedata/factory, wipe chache, wipe d chache, then install rom, then all those fixes then reboot?

again sorry for all the questions, just dont wanna mess up

Upvote 0
1.) so right now im running .340 froyo, im going to make a back up of this. but then when i put the 2 part GB file in and if everything works properly, should i make another backup of that, before i put on rom?
It cant hurt to make another backup at Any point of modifying your phone as far as I can tell. The only issue I see is hogging up your SD (these backups are quite large). Also unless you use RomManager to rename them something that designates exactly what is "backed up" it may get confusing to have more than one stored on the Phone.

2.)2nd post by bowslayer, said download deodexe file, i need this for every rom?( think i read about this i guess it takes away stock themes or something so phone doesnt mess up?)
The way I understand it ; if youre gonna apply a Theme or Mod to your Rom you must be Deodexed, hence flashing the Deodex file after flashing the 2 part Pre-rooted GB file>

3.)now in the link it says i have to uninstall the market update and then freeze it so it doesnt update, well i dont have that titanium backup pro so i wont be able to freeze, would it mess up my phone? how would u go about renaming? is there a guide?
I wasnt aware you could not Freeze apps with the free version of TiBU. I thought you just couldnt perform "Batch" operations. Either way the Pro version is only a couple bucks and helps support the Developers who bring us all this cool stuff. Another option is to Rename the Updater app using a File Explorer app like Astro(free). I think you change the suffix from .APK to .BAK just dont delete the app or youll have trouble later down the road.

and sorry 1 more in the link above i see the actual rom DL and then there r links for fix white text fix account closing and add swype, so would i have to wipedata/factory, wipe chache, wipe d chache, then install rom, then all those fixes then reboot?

I believe downloading the newest version includes all the fixes. The patches are for people that have been running the theme since the early version that may have issues.

I hope this helps you out. Someone more knowledgeable may chime in to correct me I hope. I am still new at this stuff but have been helped a lot here and trying to pass it on. Just remember to Always follow the instructions provided by the Developer for the Rom or Theme and youll be good to go.

Upvote 0
thanks again bow slayer!

and last question so i made a back up of froyo rooted, installed the 2part gb update, then went back into clock work and installed the deoexe. installed the apex 2.0 onto sd card. i havent downloaded file explorer yet and changed the name of market yet, will do that after post. now my question is, so i go back into clockwork(after i change name of market) then i wipe data/factory, wipe chache, and wipe d chache, then install rom, correct? but i was wondering if i do all those wipes, wont it change the market back to .apk? and would i have to reinstall the deoexe before the rom again? or will the .bak and the deoexe stay on the phone even after the wipes?

thank you!

Upvote 0
The "wipes" don't affect anything on the SD card except for the android secure folder (which you don't really have control over anyway) your backups and .bak files will still be right where you put them.
You will have to reinstall everything you want to use
Deodex isn't needed for most ROMs, as they are (most of them) deodexed already.

Reactions: Bowslayer
Upvote 0
so i tried flashing apex, and im stuck in a boot loop waited like 15min, pulled battery started back up normal, i even held the home power button and hit reboot. and still is in a boot loop, guessing cause i installed without wiping data/chache, was going to but the video i watched on youtube i coulda sworn said if u r coming from gb rooted you could just flash without wiping..... soo

would i have to sbf back to .340 or is there someway to get to my backup gb i made before i tried flashing apex?

Upvote 0
gotta wipe data/cache...
pull the battery
hold the home button down and power at the same time
with your third hand (or so it seems...) put the battery in
when you see the M logo, let the power button go, but hold home
let go of the home button when you see andy next to a triangle
hit the search button
you will see some blue text, use the volume up/down buttons to move the highlighted line to "wipe data/factory reset"
press the camera (red) button to select
use this same method to confirm that you really want to do this
you will see some yellow dots appear in a line on the bottom of the screen, you will need to keep pressing either the menu button or the "ok" on the bottom of the screen to keep them going (they will stop after a few seconds and wait for your prompting)
when that is done, select reboot
let it boot into your ROM and set up your accounts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones