• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got Hero Lag? Try this...

i'm still looking for a cure to my phone's lag

Try " Spare Parts ". After I downloaded it, go to window animation and change to fast, then go to transition animation and change to fast. I noticed a increase in performance. It also gives you good battery info such as percentage, health, temp. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Interesting! Anybody else try this?

Unbelievable!!!

The fixed ALL lag, including making and receiving calls.

My Hero (2.1) has been horribly slow and buggy since I bought it new. It was originally 1.6 and I did the update when it was released. The 2.1 update did improve performance, ever so slightly, but this App is God-Sent!!! I was looking to upgrade to the EVO, but not anymore. At least, not yet. ;-)

Anyone experiencing lag should most definitely download and install this app!

Change both settings as described above.

Reactions: hamiltonali
Upvote 0
Another thing I have done is stop using Sense UI and only use Launcher Pro and love it customization and have notice a large difference between the lag and others issues, much better, I was close to rooting and this launcher has made me love my phone again

Unbelievable!!!

The fixed ALL lag, including making and receiving calls.

My Hero (2.1) has been horribly slow and buggy since I bought it new. It was originally 1.6 and I did the update when it was released. The 2.1 update did improve performance, ever so slightly, but this App is God-Sent!!! I was looking to upgrade to the EVO, but not anymore. At least, not yet. ;-)

Anyone experiencing lag should most definitely download and install this app!

Change both settings as described above.

Upvote 0
Totally agree, I personally never have problems with this phone. I reboot each night before I charge.

Guys...

A lot of people talk about rebooting and resetting the Hero constantly on here...not sure it's correct to say people aren't trying that.

Having said that, should one really have to reboot the phone or take the battery out every night to keep it working? iPhone users don't have to do that...LOL. And given your computer analogy, it's appropriate to point out that Mac users don't either. My g/f had to reboot her Mac maybe once in a year. ;O)

Why not just have a more effective memory-management system (such as the 2.2-added option to install apps on the SD card that should've been standard form 1.0) in Android so the system doesn't get bogged down?

Your ShopSavvy tip sounds valuable, but has anyone verified with specific testing?

@Moderators: Can we combine this with the Sticky "CONSOLIDATED LAG FIGHTING THREAD" we tried to start?

Upvote 0
Guys...

A lot of people talk about rebooting and resetting the Hero constantly on here...not sure it's correct to say people aren't trying that.

Having said that, should one really have to reboot the phone or take the battery out every night to keep it working? iPhone users don't have to do that...LOL. And given your computer analogy, it's appropriate to point out that Mac users don't either. My g/f had to reboot her Mac maybe once in a year. ;O)

Why not just have a more effective memory-management system (such as the 2.2-added option to install apps on the SD card that should've been standard form 1.0) in Android so the system doesn't get bogged down?

Your ShopSavvy tip sounds valuable, but has anyone verified with specific testing?

@Moderators: Can we combine this with the Sticky "CONSOLIDATED LAG FIGHTING THREAD" we tried to start?
I agree,I don't know of a reason why the sd card couldn't have been designed to fully utilize it out of the box.Sorry for getting a little off track here.

Upvote 0
Having so much internal memory will only go so far when it comes to fighting the lag, but I will say that it is amazing how bloated Stock 2.1 seems. Haven't used it for more than a handful of hours the first day I got my Hero, so I don't know how much actual free internal space you have out of the box, but I remember it seeming like not a whole lot (the bloatware doesn't really help either). Right now I have about 20 or 21 apps installed, and have 125mb of internal memory left. I am rooted, and running a CM6 build: after a clean install and installing necessary Google apps like Market, Gmail, etc (and promptly deleting the ones I have no use for), I think I had about 140-150mb free internally, maybe more, don't really remember since I've been running this setup for a week or two now.

If you want to stay unrooted and stock for whatever reasons, Launcherpro is seriously the way to go to eliminate most, if probably not all, lag. Set the App Drawer opening speed all the way up, Screen Previews opening speed all the way, Homescreens Minimum Scrolling speed all the way... really makes a difference, and if you also download Spare Parts like a poster above said, it will be even faster/smoother. Of course, you will lose Sense widgets or whatever, but there are replacements for most, if not all, of them. Small price to pay to make the phone about 1,000,000x more usable, especially if you don't want to root/flash ROMs/overclock/etc.

Upvote 0
Having so much internal memory will only go so far when it comes to fighting the lag, but I will say that it is amazing how bloated Stock 2.1 seems. Haven't used it for more than a handful of hours the first day I got my Hero, so I don't know how much actual free internal space you have out of the box, but I remember it seeming like not a whole lot (the bloatware doesn't really help either). Right now I have about 20 or 21 apps installed, and have 125mb of internal memory left. I am rooted, and running a CM6 build: after a clean install and installing necessary Google apps like Market, Gmail, etc (and promptly deleting the ones I have no use for), I think I had about 140-150mb free internally, maybe more, don't really remember since I've been running this setup for a week or two now.

If you want to stay unrooted and stock for whatever reasons, Launcherpro is seriously the way to go to eliminate most, if probably not all, lag. Set the App Drawer opening speed all the way up, Screen Previews opening speed all the way, Homescreens Minimum Scrolling speed all the way... really makes a difference, and if you also download Spare Parts like a poster above said, it will be even faster/smoother. Of course, you will lose Sense widgets or whatever, but there are replacements for most, if not all, of them. Small price to pay to make the phone about 1,000,000x more usable, especially if you don't want to root/flash ROMs/overclock/etc.

+1

Upvote 0
I installed the Spare Parts application about 18 hours ago (my phone was unplugged 27 hours ago). My battery level was 75%. I made a few short phone calls, listened to voicemail, and updated a couple of apps without the phone being plugged in. Today, ~12:30pm, my phone is now showing 71%. That's about a 4% drop in 12 hours... overnight I had non-essential functions switched off as usual (Internet, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth, etc). Normally I'd expect the battery level to show more like a 10% drop overnight.

Now, it's only been about a month since I got this phone. I don't know if it's just a coincidence on the battery "burning in", or if this newly installed app has somehow optimized whatever was contributing to the battery drain. Has anybody else here noticed any battery life improvement using Spare Parts?

Upvote 0
The most annoying lag occurs when I type online. Text messages are ok, Im just now getting the hang of it. But when Im trying to reply online, for example if I were on my hero now trying to type all this, it lags like there's no tomorrow and its so annoying. I can somewhat tolerate it, but at the same time it would be nice to get rid of it somehow. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I know when I first got it, it wasnt like that. But I didnt have as much on it. I did the steps above, and its a little bit better, but its still not as smooth as I would want it.

Turning off the Haptic feedback (The vibrating the phone makes every time you hit a key)fixed my keyboard lag BIG TIME.
in fact, I turned off the vibrate function on just about every phone feature that used it, and it helped quite a bit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones