• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS After Update - Same or Better?

After updating to the UCJH7 firmware, has GPS on your Captivate improved?

• Yes, I noticed an improvement that persists even after 3 days

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • No improvement after 3 days

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • After 3 days, GPS is even worse

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • Update fails and won't install for me.

Votes: 9 9.8%

• Total voters
Installed Update.
Placed phone on windowsil inside building.
Running GPS Test, Finds 6 sats indoors near a window after 45 seconds, 8 after that.
It didn't lock until about 3 mins later.
Accuracy after 6 mins was 32.8ft

Coworker has an Epic, We had the phones side by side, saw the same sats, similar snr, but his locked, where mine wouldn't.

Also The #*#*1472365*#*# no longer works.

How do I get to the GPS Test without the #*#*1472365*#*# ?

Upvote 0
Update Failed...Seems no update for rooted phones?

Check your settings, About Phone. I have a rooted/sideload-enabled captivate, it went through the update process and showed as failed, but when I check my About page, I have the Sept-11 kernel with the JH7 build.

I have not checked GPS extensively, just once, indoors, and only saw one sat. But I don't expect to use my phone to navigate to the bedroom or the fridge. I'll test more later.

Also, for whatever reason, I can still use the dialing function to get to LBTestMode. So apparently THAT part of the update did fail. I also still have the option for PC Internet. So who knows what I'm missing from the update.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have had problems with GPS since day one. After the download it still did not improve... I decided to hard reset the phone and guess what? Works like a champ now. If you are willing, give it a try but you will need to re-download everything.

Funny thing, I never knew that the GPS icon actually was supposed to stop throbbing since I nver really got a good lock. Now it pulses for a few seconds and then actually stops. Who knew? :p

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I think i figured it out!

My GPS was not working before (inaccurate to about 250 meters) so i was very excited for the update. I applied it and there was still no difference. BUT I remember using a simple 5 step guide to make the gps more accurate and lock faster BEFORE I applied the update. Those steps are here:Quick fix for GPS issues on your new Samsung Galaxy S series phone | Android Central

So I decided to change the setting back to the original stock settings when I first got the phone. I did that, and it WORKED!!!!!!
Note, that on the guide it says you must type in a number to access the settings. You can no long do that after the update. You CAN however access them through a shortcut app. I used ANY CUT (available in marketplace). Just open Any Cut, click "new shortcut", go to "Activity", then scroll to "LbsTestMode" and click it. the shortcut will be added to your home screen. The guide I linked to gives you the steps on how to change to stock settings.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
The GPS is definitely improved, I had 10/10 satellite lock inside (albeit by a window) in just under a minute, and the GPS stays locked, before it would get it, then lose it and then get it again, then start allover. I fired up Google Maps, and it had a lock in 20 seconds, MUCH improved! However, it has me located about 200 feet from my actual location, I will have to try it and Google Navigation outside tomorrow on my way into town.

Upvote 0
Ok guys, I think i figured it out!

My GPS was not working before (inaccurate to about 250 meters) so i was very excited for the update. I applied it and there was still no difference. BUT I remember using a simple 5 step guide to make the gps more accurate and lock faster BEFORE I applied the update. Those steps are here:Quick fix for GPS issues on your new Samsung Galaxy S series phone | Android Central

So I decided to change the setting back to the original stock settings when I first got the phone. I did that, and it WORKED!!!!!!
Note, that on the guide it says you must type in a number to access the settings. You can no long do that after the update. You CAN however access them through a shortcut app. I used ANY CUT (available in marketplace). Just open Any Cut, click "new shortcut", go to "Activity", then scroll to "LbsTestMode" and click it. the shortcut will be added to your home screen. The guide I linked to gives you the steps on how to change to stock settings.

Good luck!

So I tried with both stock settings and with FQDN set to Auto config (which was recommended in another post here). With both of these ways I was bouncing back and forth between 16 and 32 ft accuracy. Both times I was locked onto between 7 and 11 satellites.
I drove around using My Tracks and it showed me on the wrong side of the road at times, and also driving through houses and places where there are no roads.

Upvote 0
maybe that is a good point. For those that GPS is not improved for, what are your GPS settings? Are they the stock settings or a modified version based on previously posted potential fixes....just a thought.
I for one have not recieved the update so it has been irritating as hell to watch everyone get the update but glad to know they are actually doing something! After hearing the update drops usb tethering though...im not sure if I want it. That means more to me than anything at the moment.

Upvote 0
maybe that is a good point. For those that GPS is not improved for, what are your GPS settings? Are they the stock settings or a modified version based on previously posted potential fixes....just a thought.
I for one have not recieved the update so it has been irritating as hell to watch everyone get the update but glad to know they are actually doing something! After hearing the update drops usb tethering though...im not sure if I want it. That means more to me than anything at the moment.

Please elaborate...what do you mean the update took away usb tethering????? Are you telling me you can no longer tether through kies or dialup connection? Please elaborate with details! The ease of tendering with this phone was the best part of the Samsung galaxy s phones. I hope tmo doesn't do this

Upvote 0
My gps has worked fine since I bought the phone on release date. It locked onto satellites quickly enough for me and was accurate when using it while driving. Every once in a while it would lose the gps lock, but it always quickly found me again. That didn't bother me because it rarely happened. With the update, I lock on to satellites much quicker now, but that is the only thing improved. My accuracy is extremely horrible now. As a test I loaded up maps on my way to work. The entire time it showed me driving on the other side of the road, offroad in the desert, or through houses and buildings. I never saw that before the update. It had me accurately on the road that I was on only once or twice while testing. After work I tried it again and the same thing happened. Now my gps is broken. Great update! So happy it broke what I didn't need fixed. :mad:

Upvote 0
OK here is my report. update installed yesterday. First GPS start from Cold took about 2 mins. After that would lock 8-10 sats in 10 seconds and Google Nav worked perfectly on my way home last night. So figured all was great but... this AM after turning phone on. GPS went into cold start mode AGAIN and would not give initial lock while in moving auto. After I left the car the lock took about 90 seconds and then subsequent locks took less than 10. So, does this GPS need to be cold sarted every time you restart the phone? that would be epic fail.

Upvote 0
Mine is working better but still not working like it should. I am inside now and have a lock on 5 out of 7 sats with a accuracy of 32 feet. This morning on my way to work I tried nav and still no luck. It is better than before the update but stil not where it needs to be. Apparently according to this thread it appears that this update does not contain the GPS fix so I wonder if we are seeing an improvement that Samsung needed to fix prior to the actual GPS fix? Either way I am happy to see a step in the right direction but I want a real GPS and not this partial stuff we have now.

Just my $.02.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones