• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS altitude/elevation

As you can see, I'm new to the forum and Android but I intend to get a Galaxy Player when my finances allow it so I'm checking a few things in advance.

I'm not new to GPS as I have a Garmin Edge 605 which I use for planing and recording cycle routes. I am aware that elevation data doesn't seem to be as reliable as longitude and latitude (though I don't understand why) but from reading various threads here it seems to vary from one device to another (and possibly the software used as well?) but nothing has been said about the SGP specifically. Some of the threads are two or three years old and suggest that future updates might resolve some of the GPS issues but nobody has followed up with confirmations.

Assuming it's not very accurate, how consistent is it? I don't mind it reporting that I am several meters higher than I actually am as long as it continues to report similar exaggerations throughout the ride.

For comparison, my Garmin Edge can be out by as much as 12 or 15 metres (either up or down) but tends to fluctuate around 5 metres for most of the ride. It is the fluctuation that I'd like to avoid. I use SportTracks to correct the data but I'd like to be able to use the data directly from the device.

I doubt the SGP will be any better than the Edge but if it is at least comparable then it would help justify spending

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones