• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS Navigation on Google Maps: How do I limit data used?

gianmarco

Jun 22, 2011
I want to start using google navigation instead of using my parents' GPS (one less thing to carry/worry about).

I have read online that the main data usage is downloading the maps and setting the route.

I have mine set to cache while on wifi. I only set my GPS radio on when using it. Also, when possible, I set the route when on wifi.

Considering all of this, how much data would I be using (be it per mile, per unit of time, etc)?

Will the navigation and voice commands (the GPS telling me where to turn, etc) still work if i turn off the GPS radio off after it is loaded?

Thanks!

Reactions: MRBSea
There is no cost for using the gps, since all it's doing is receiving coordinates from the satellites. The cost comes with the mobile data used to download the maps while en route. You can cache your maps while on wifi and shut of mobile data while travelling and you should be okay. It will give you the audio turn-by-turn directions as long as you stay on the mapped route.

You will have to remember two things. First, Google navigator only caches the maps for trips of 10 miles or less, and if you deviate from the plotted route, it will not be able to adjust without a data connection.

If you tend to go off course a lot, you might want to look at a navigation app like copilot that includes the maps so no data connection is required ... ever. Of course they can be a little pricy, but isn't $10 for an app once better than $30 worth of data usage monthly?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

I actually found that you don't even need a data connection to re-route, just a GPS signal.

Here is what I did:

-While on wifi, I downloaded a large area of the google map of my hometown (was roughly 50x50 to 60x60 square miles and about 60 mb. It needs to be a square).

-Set a google navigation route from my work to home, which is about a 15-20 minute drive and 15 miles (still on wifi).

-Once the route was set, I deactivated data and wifi (airplane mode) and left the GPS satelite on (I am assuming airplane mode deactivated Google Location Services since it turns off data nad wifi, but I did not check).

-I got in my car and followed the route. OnceI left the parking lot, I intentionally went off-course. Sure enough, it redirected me. I still had voice navigation and everything.

Seeing this, I can assume that this method consumes little to no data at all. The only thing I am not to sure about now is the battery consumption.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones