• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gps on all the time

The GPS is defiantly a higher drain the wifi or BT. It is after all trying to get a signal from a satellite. But just having it "on" isn't really going to drain too much, but having something like maps open will defiantly start to drain. I've noticed that the device actually gets hot where the GPS antenna is located (in the chin of the phone) with prolonged use.

Upvote 0
I've been leaving GPS on in the settings all the time, and the phone has been lasting all day. That's with a bit of 3G web browsing, too. But I don't have an app that uses GPS all the time. I get the feeling that the GPS chip is only powered up when an app wants to use GPS.

The heat is probably from the CPU. I've mostly noticed it when watching YouTube videos. You can be sure that if the phone is getting warm then it is draining the battery very fast.

Upvote 0
But I don't have an app that uses GPS all the time. I get the feeling that the GPS chip is only powered up when an app wants to use GPS.

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing and I've experienced the same results. Locale is probably the biggest covert user of the GPS. It's unfortunate, because it's such a cool app. I leave the GPS on all the time, I just manage which apps use it. It's nice to have it there when you want to use it without having to flip switches.

I'd say that WiFi is probably the biggest consumer of battery power, along with 3G, mainly because they receive and transmit. GPS only receives, which really doesn't take that much power. The problem is that it's generally linked to apps that are very "busy" on the data side, which give the impression of the GPS being a power-hungry device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones