• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help gps

HepC

Jul 25, 2009
hi.Anyone else have gps locking issues? When using mytracks I get some spotty tracks when the phone seems to lose its gps lock. I tried wireless location and that not so accurate. When they say there has to be clear sky's does that mean it can't be in your pocket or backpack or in a car?
Thanks.

Yes it means it can't be in pocket or backpack. I do use mine in the car without problems.

If you have a "belt pouch" or something like that it will work, mine does.

Buildings, trees, thick clouds, sun spot cycle, hills, tunnels and many other things can block signal to even very high priced GPS's. I have 3 different GPS's I use at the same time for trail mapping. They all "skip" every once in a while.

While GPS can be very accurate, many things can cause a low or bad signal.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've had zero experience with gps hardware so I didn't really understand why the gps wouldn't stay locked. How long should it take to get a lock if I am standing still? Sometimes it just blinks indefinitely without lock and the gps status app says there is 8 satellites?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones