• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Colors Flicker In Certain Apps.

I have the Motorola Moto G Power 2021. Yesterday I noticed the colors in certain apps were flickering between color and black and white. Like in Google Voice, my contact pictures would flicker between color and black and white. The same with contact pictures in the message app that came with the phone. Most of the apps that had this problem were fixed when I uninstalled then reinstalled them. I can't uninstall the message app that came with the phone. On Gmail, all uninstalling does is set it back to factory settings. To reinstall it, you go to where the apps with updates are listed in the Google Play Store and update it. I've tried clearing cache and data, turning the phone off and back on, turning off dark theme, resetting app preferences, uninstalling apps I've installed in the last month. I've tried everything short of a factory reset or throwing the phone across the room. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is or anything else I could try, if I haven't already tried it?
Here's a list of the apps that uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the problem. I use Cricket Wireless but this phone didn't come with the Cricket Visual Voicemail app.
AOL
Outlook
Yahoo Mail
Google One
Google Voice
Cricket Visual Voicemail

I've only had it 10 months, plus or minus a week. I don't have insurance. My cousin is going to take me to the local Cricket Wireless store Tuesday. If it's a hardware issue, I'm going to do what I call a "same grade". Same grade is an upgrade where I just get another of the same phone. In this case the Moto G Power 2021. Unless I find another Motorola phone I like better.

My previous phone before this Moto G Power 2021 was the Moto E5 Cruise. I had 4 of it. Moto E5 Cruise #1 developed an audio issue. The only way to get the audio to work right was to squeeze the phone on the front and back side where they earpiece was located. I sent it back and got a refurbished/like new one. It was Moto E5 Cruise #2. It had issues of its own. One was in the now history Google Play Music. I bought a Moto E5 Cruise #3. Long story made short: I lost it. Then I bought Moto E5 Cruise #4. It developed issues. One of which was random restarts. So, August of last year I upgraded to the Moto G Power 2021.
I'm not going to risk another refurbished/like new phone with problems of its own. I'd rather be without a phone while Motorola tries to fix this one or just buy a new one.

I have the Motorola Moto G Power 2021. Yesterday I noticed the colors in certain apps were flickering between color and black and white. Like in Google Voice, my contact pictures would flicker between color and black and white. The same with contact pictures in the message app that came with the phone. Most of the apps that had this problem were fixed when I uninstalled then reinstalled them. I can't uninstall the message app that came with the phone. On Gmail, all uninstalling does is set it back to factory settings. To reinstall it, you go to where the apps with updates are listed in the Google Play Store and update it. I've tried clearing cache and data, turning the phone off and back on, turning off dark theme, resetting app preferences, uninstalling apps I've installed in the last month. I've tried everything short of a factory reset or throwing the phone across the room. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is or anything else I could try, if I haven't already tried it?
Here's a list of the apps that uninstalling and reinstalling fixed the problem. I use Cricket Wireless but this phone didn't come with the Cricket Visual Voicemail app.
AOL
Outlook
Yahoo Mail
Google One
Google Voice
Cricket Visual Voicemail

I've only had it 10 months, plus or minus a week. I don't have insurance. My cousin is going to take me to the local Cricket Wireless store Tuesday. If it's a hardware issue, I'm going to do what I call a "same grade". Same grade is an upgrade where I just get another of the same phone. In this case the Moto G Power 2021. Unless I find another Motorola phone I like better.

My previous phone before this Moto G Power 2021 was the Moto E5 Cruise. I had 4 of it. Moto E5 Cruise #1 developed an audio issue. The only way to get the audio to work right was to squeeze the phone on the front and back side where they earpiece was located. I sent it back and got a refurbished/like new one. It was Moto E5 Cruise #2. It had issues of its own. One was in the now history Google Play Music. I bought a Moto E5 Cruise #3. Long story made short: I lost it. Then I bought Moto E5 Cruise #4. It developed issues. One of which was random restarts. So, August of last year I upgraded to the Moto G Power 2021.
I'm not going to risk another refurbished/like new phone with problems of its own. I'd rather be without a phone while Motorola tries to fix this one or just buy a new one.

Great news! This thread can now be closed and locked. About 3 hours ago I figured out how to put my phone in safe mode. In safe mode the apps with the flickering colors issue worked properly. No color flickering. When I took it out of safe mode, I uninstalled an app I've had to contact the developers a few times about problems. When I did, no more flickering. I've added that Bird Sorting game by Games Arena to my permanently banned apps list. The only other app on that list is Urban Dictionary. Urban Dictionary caused the random restarts on my previous phone in August of last year. Uninstalling Urban Dictionary fixed my previous phone. I'd had my previous phone 3 years, so I decided to upgrade to this phone in August of last year.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones