• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Screenshot of the apks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105-203235-243.png
    Screenshot_20231105-203235-243.png
    329 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
The app package is com.qualcomm.qti.uceshimservice.apk. This is pre-installed by manufacturers on phones, and "qualcomm" are the company that makes the phones' processors. So no, this is not spyware.

As for what it is, a shim is described in this thread. UCE has many definitions, with "universal computing element" and a multimedia communications system being the 2 most plausible in a phone. And service is obvious. So the name suggests a piece of software that runs in the background and enables some task or other, but I can't be sure which. Phones are full of such things, and you should not panic just because you don't recognise something - almost nobody will recognise everything service running on a phone.

Unfortunately many people assume that anything they don't recognise must be malicious, and some will post that as a fact on the web. So when searching for such information it's important to read carefully and critically to determine whether this is a trustworthy source.

I fact I found one search result that was a spyware article, but the word uceshimservice wasn't in the text of the article. I suspect it was one of those pages that attaches every tag it can think of to the page in order to maximise its search ranking, whether relevant or not, and hence the article turning up in the search meant nothing at all.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones