• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

problem with youtubeTV on new phone

i had a moto z play (purchased in 2017) with android 8. youtubeTV ran flawlessly on this phone. decided it was time for a newer phone. went with a 2021 moto g power, android 11. transferred everything from the old phone. no new apps installed since the transfer. youtubeTV now has a "choppy/stuttery" play. video play is fine on youtube and tubi, just not on youtubeTV. i have tried restarting my phone, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and everything else i could find on the interwebs to try, with no success. this occurs with any wifi connection i use (primarily home and work). i pulled out my old phone to try the app to make sure it wasnt a bad wifi signal at my home, and the app still works great. any help would be appreciated. at this point i am considering going back to my old phone if i cant get this issue resolved. any suggestions would be welcomed. TIA

no idea on the phone, but why not just hook a chromecast. it is what i use rather than my phone. you can even cast your entire phone to the tv if you want. the chromecast is not that expensive and the new one comes with a remote!.........just thought i might make an alternative suggestion for you.

now to your actual phone issue. is your phone up to date? is the youtube tv app up to date?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
no idea on the phone, but why not just hook a chromecast. it is what i use rather than my phone. you can even cast your entire phone to the tv if you want. the chromecast is not that expensive and the new one comes with a remote!.........just thought i might make an alternative suggestion for you.

now to your actual phone issue. is your phone up to date? is the youtube tv app up to date?
i forgot to mention this in my post. i do have chromecast on my tv, and when i cast videos to the tv from the phone the issue is gone. only have it when viewing the videos on the phone. the only time i watch youtubeTV on my phone is at work. as far as i know everything is up to date. i like the phone just frustrated with this one issue.

Upvote 0
i forgot to mention this in my post. i do have chromecast on my tv, and when i cast videos to the tv from the phone the issue is gone. only have it when viewing the videos on the phone. the only time i watch youtubeTV on my phone is at work. as far as i know everything is up to date. i like the phone just frustrated with this one issue.
and as far as i know everything is up to date.

Upvote 0

sorry, got confused with tv and phone.....lol.

have you tried rebooting your router?

Upvote 0
That was my thought also...
You know you can call YouTube TV and they will open a support ticket for your issue and help fix it.... Doesn't matter what type of device you're having an issue with.
i will probably have to call them. its just annoying to have this issue with a new phone that should have been an upgrade from my last one

Upvote 0
like i said, its not my home wifi. youtubeTV runs flawlessly on the moto z play. at this point i feel like, if it aint broke, dont fix it. luckily im only out $110 bucks for the phone
Even though everything else is fine with wifi, sometimes just rebooting it will fix an isolated issue. It can't hurt to reboot it, just takes a minute or so.

I would give it a try, just to fully rule it out.

Upvote 0
Even though everything else is fine with wifi, sometimes just rebooting it will fix an isolated issue. It can't hurt to reboot it, just takes a minute or so.

I would give it a try, just to fully rule it out.
well, im currently at work on employers wifi, so no way to reboot. its not the wifi signal. and as i stated, its runs great when casting to tv and on my moto z play, just not on the moto g power. i uninstalled some of the apps google sends with the phone that i will never use but that didnt help.

Upvote 0
I'm going to suggest you focus on the Youtube TV app as that's the problem given all the things you've detailed. Putting aside your router, Chromecast, and other external devices that you've already determined to be not a factor, and since you phone and other streaming service apps (Youtube app, Tubi app) are working as they should, the logical conclusion you need to address is the Youtube TV app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...d.apps.youtube.unplugged&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Have you looked into the Settings menu of the Youtube TV app itself for any options that might be an issue?
Or try going into your Moto's Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the Youtube TV apps entry, top on Force stop and then find and tap on Clear data. Using Clear data will delete the app's config and settings data, along with the app's cache, essentially returning it to its first-time used state. Now start up the Youtube TV app and see if this works out. (... and no, Uninstalling and then re-installing an app does not always remove everything, it just removes the app's main data. With some apps it does, but with most apps some of random configuration and settings data remain. Use Clear data first before Uninstalling an app.)

Upvote 0
I'm going to suggest you focus on the Youtube TV app as that's the problem given all the things you've detailed. Putting aside your router, Chromecast, and other external devices that you've already determined to be not a factor, and since you phone and other streaming service apps (Youtube app, Tubi app) are working as they should, the logical conclusion you need to address is the Youtube TV app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...d.apps.youtube.unplugged&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Have you looked into the Settings menu of the Youtube TV app itself for any options that might be an issue?
Or try going into your Moto's Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the Youtube TV apps entry, top on Force stop and then find and tap on Clear data. Using Clear data will delete the app's config and settings data, along with the app's cache, essentially returning it to its first-time used state. Now start up the Youtube TV app and see if this works out. (... and no, Uninstalling and then re-installing an app does not always remove everything, it just removes the app's main data. With some apps it does, but with most apps some of random configuration and settings data remain. Use Clear data first before Uninstalling an app.)

Upvote 0
did a factory reset and repeat data transfer. battery percentage display returned for about 30 minutes and then disappeared again. and youtubeTV still doesnt play properly. should probably just return the phone for a refund but dont know if amazon will accept it without the packaging i (admittedly stupidly) discarded. have to research that

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones