• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Grabbing a remote file from a web server

ro_eire

Lurker
Oct 27, 2011
Hi Folks,

I'm new'ish to Android (but am >10years in IT) and am starting work on an relatively simple app which basically displays a list of products. The user can then click on a product and view the details of that product. That's basically it. Very simple.

There could be ~500products (each which has a Name, Description, Details section). I'm wondering what the best way of designing this. Some thoughts I have are:
- When the customer installs the app, it contacts the company's web server, pulls down a csv file with all the products in it and maybe stores that file in a SQL db. The "list products" screen would then poll this db for data. Then anytime the customer opens the app it polls the db (via an SQLLiteOpenHelper) and renders the list
- I'm ignoring updates to the original csv file for now.

Any thoughts would be good. I know the size of the csv file may well determine the approach.

Thanks ! - Ro

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones