• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Greetings all. This is just the obligatory introduction.

I'm a civil engineer and have done quite a bit of programming both professionally and as an incurable tinkerer. I'm looking for my first ANDROID phone, but won't ask any annoying newbie questions until I have a chance to do some searching.

I've been with T-Mobile for years, but I'm an even longer-time Linux geek. For the older folks among you, I've been playing with Linux since Slackware 4 on diskettes. Yes - I'm that old. I've more recently gotten hooked on various LiveCD Linux distributions and have even played with an ANDROID LiveCD.

I'm signing up here because this long-time T-Mobile customer has a dying RAZR and needs a replacement. I would like to add a QWERTY keyboard and wi-fi capability, but I really don't want to sign any additional contracts, and simply WILL NOT pay for any stinkin' data plan.

So it's finally time for a smart phone. With that decision behind me, it seems that my preferences and background pretty much dictate an ANDROID phone. I'm a newbie though, and I'm willing to acknowledge that I could be talked out of ANDROID if someone here can point me toward some other really cool linux-based smart phone.

knorth@charter.net

Greetings all. This is just the obligatory introduction.

I'm a civil engineer and have done quite a bit of programming both professionally and as an incurable tinkerer. I'm looking for my first ANDROID phone, but won't ask any annoying newbie questions until I have a chance to do some searching.

I've been with T-Mobile for years, but I'm an even longer-time Linux geek. For the older folks among you, I've been playing with Linux since Slackware 4 on diskettes. Yes - I'm that old. I've more recently gotten hooked on various LiveCD Linux distributions and have even played with an ANDROID LiveCD.

I'm signing up here because this long-time T-Mobile customer has a dying RAZR and needs a replacement. I would like to add a QWERTY keyboard and wi-fi capability, but I really don't want to sign any additional contracts, and simply WILL NOT pay for any stinkin' data plan.

So it's finally time for a smart phone. With that decision behind me, it seems that my preferences and background pretty much dictate an ANDROID phone. I'm a newbie though, and I'm willing to acknowledge that I could be talked out of ANDROID if someone here can point me toward some other really cool linux-based smart phone.

knorth@charter.net
Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones