• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Grim Sprint Performance in the Southwest

I was completely crushed at the performance of my EVO while on vacation in the Southwest. It began in Albuquerque when it couldn't find a solid GPS signal, and went down from there. And each time it couldn't find the signal, it turned itself off, only to try again....and again...and you know how iffy the battery is anyway.

I finally had to put it into airplane mode just so I could use the camera and camcorder. I'd try again later, and it still never kept GPS for more than ten minutes. Flagstaff was worse, Sedona good, Grand Canyon never, and Las Vegas completely unusable. Within minutes of landing in Kansas City, all's just peachy again.

Is it the phone?? It didn't help that my travel mate daughter's iPhone was the solid gem through the whole thing. I plan to speak to Sprint technical support in their store but I have a feeling they'll tell me it's just the mountains. That's hard to believe! If I traveled in the SW, I'd have to have four batteries, a separate GPS, or another phone. And I'm really ticked about the battery loss: it went from 100 to 66 in an hour....in airplane mode. :(

What's up??

It's not THE phone it's your phone. I live in the southwest in the winter and routinely go to all of the cities that you listed. I don't have iffy battery problems EVER and I get great reception. As a matter of fact, right now, my phone has been off the charger for 16 hours, with moderate use and I still have 60% battery left.

Your phone is either defective or it could use a hard reset and a PRL update. That doesn't explain how it all of a sudden worked correctly in MCI......so maybe something is up with your phone.

Upvote 0
A follow-up: I took it to a Sprint tech, he also was puzzled but thought it might be an aberration since it works now. He gave me some tips about PRL updates, told me to call *18 to tell the phone where I am if the GPS isn't finding me.

While there, he also took off some battery-hogging apps, (anti-virus, Yelp, Sprint Navigation, battery monitors) etc., and put his Sprint tech phone number into my contacts. How's that for service? :)

Anyway, we'll see how it works next time I'm out of the state. If it's the phone, it'll misbehave again. But I'll have someone to blame. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones